Need turkey hunting tips.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Keith Mako, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting turkey each spring for two years. I can't use a bow in the spring and want to hunt them this fall. In RI fall is bow only and want some tips for fall season. I have had no luck in calling in a tom. I have had one fly by which was my fault, and one call but never come in. I have a jake and hen decoy, box call, and mouth calls I try to use all of them sparingly. Any tips on what I do wrong, or what I should do?

2. longbeardscustomcalls

longbeardscustomcalls Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keith, i would be glad to help and give you any advice that i can . Shoot me an email with any questions and i will gladly get back to you as soon as i get a chance.
    Jon

3. nothingbuylongbeards

nothingbuylongbeards Newb

Dislikes Received:

when in doubt take the 12 gauge and Hevishot Magnum Blends

4. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite tactic for fall turkey hunting is to find where they are roosting and where they are feeding and setup somewhere in between and ambush them. I don't use decoys and will use a call sparingly to pull them closer if they are passing by out of range. Saturday, I was sitting in a natural funnel trying for a deer and 3 turkeys came by. I didn't call and when they passed by at 20 yards I was able to draw and shoot one of them. Simple ambush at a natural funnel as they were heading out to the oaks to eat acorns.

5. Bowhunter_vargas

Bowhunter_vargas Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would try to find out where they're roosting at and then set up pretty close to the tree without decoys. If you can roost them the night before its perfect because they tend to fly down on the same side they flew up. In the fall turkeys dont do much responding to calling you just have to cut them off pretty much.