Turkey Reaping & Turkey from layout blind

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by huebjac, Jul 3, 2014.

1. huebjac

huebjac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I finally got around to finishing the video, it's long but I think its worth the watch. We did a lot of cool stuff this year, some reaping, a turkey from a layout blind, I had my first bow kill on a turkey, lots of gopro action. Let me know what you think. I had the gopro mounted to the decoy most of the year and I liked how that turned out. Also we really tried the turkey reaping and from the layout, it was more unsuccessful than successful. But man that was some up close action and it was fun. All of these hunts were in Wisconsin near my house on properties I gained permission to just from knocking on doors and asking before anyone else. My camera work and editing arrent great, but I have fun bringing the camera and we got some pretty cool stuff. The video is long but it was hard to leave too much out. So if you have the time check it out. Hopefully you wont regret it. Thanks for watching! I'm just going to post the link, but if someone wants to post the video right on the page for me feel free. I don't remember how to do that.

Here's the link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stWHs_dkxo

2. WISCOZ7

WISCOZ7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great footage!!! I'm waiting for people to start stalking behind decoys waiting for them to come running in to attack, then whip out a machete. That would be the ultimate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great footage. I really like the gopro stuff! It does seem like a lot of shots taken for the number of birds killed. Looked like a turkey or two that got hit pretty hard and escaped and some long shots taken on running birds. You would have a lot better luck reapin' if you would ease the gun up into position and shoot the birds at 20 yards or so on their way in. Even with the layout blind, you can get away with slow steady movement much easier than a sudden burst. Hopefully you learned why you don't ever shoot anything with a shotgun at extremely short range. The best eating part of that bird was obviously ruined.

Work on the shooting technique and you will rival the big boys for video quality. Congrats on the bow kill too! Looked like you were really patient and took a great shot there. Keep it up.

4. huebjac

huebjac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with trying the slower movement Fletch, what we were doing obviously was working consistently. The birds were so close our shotgun patterns were the size of a softball shooting at a running birds head, not a very good shot. Like I said we learned a lot and hopefully next year we are more successful.