Slate friction call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Airassault2010, May 12, 2014.

1. Airassault2010

Airassault2010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to turkey hunting and just purchased a slate friction call. I cannot get it to make any kind of sound at all. I've prepped the surface, I'm holding correctly as I understand it but no sound. A mouth call was easier for me to get the hang of. Am I doing something wrong or did I just buy a call that doesn't work? I have a Primos Ol' Betsy.

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like either you haven't prepared the slate enough or you might need to sand down the bottom of your striker a bit. They are really easy to use once you have them setup right. I think they are way easier then mouth calls.

3. Airassault2010

Airassault2010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would sand paper be the best to use to sand the striker? I'm guessing a fine grade would be the one to use.

4. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    you could if it needs it. Check out youtube and do some searches for prepping videos and also how to use it! I just got my first calls last week and put them all to the test this weekend and they worked and sounded great. I was able to call in several hens and went back and forth with them several times!

5. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    And by the way. Welcome to the site!!! Should go introduce yourself in the new member section!

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you and I bought the same calls. Mine has a surface like glass and makes zero noise. I've used one before so, I know how they work. I thought maybe there was a piece of protective plastic over the slate or something because it's so smooth. I'd take it back but I bought up in the city 60 miles away.

Unless it works like a dog whistle, I don't think it's going to do me much good. :(

7. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I just checked bps website and a ton of reviews all saying the same thing that they can't get it to make any sound. Sounds like all of them that are working is because they really had to work on it for awhile to get it sanded down. Shouldn't have to do that with a slate call. Sounds like money wasted to me.

8. Airassault2010

Airassault2010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fortunately it was on clearance for $9.97. Plan on getting a new one tomorrow.

9. Airassault2010

Airassault2010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    From the reviews I just read the striker was the problem for most people. Not the slate itself.

10. Airassault2010

Airassault2010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just fixed it I think. The plastic piece was loose from the wood. I tightened it and now I'm getting sound.

11. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What material is the striker? Sometimes you can switch it out for softer or harder material striker and it makes all the difference in the world!! Personally I like a rosewood striker!