Bullhead fail #2

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by tacklebox, Apr 19, 2014.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lil man and I went 0 - 2 yesterday on our second attempt to hack a longbeards head off. Watch in full screen, as you can see it was just a beautiful morning out!
    I must've been just a touch right (thought the shot looked great from the blind) I saw feathers fly and couldn't believe he didn't flop. Scrambled for a second arrow and sent it over his back.
    Pretty awesome morning though!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    The aftermath

[​IMG]

3. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    That looked like a postcard! Birds are tough. Pee sized brain but seems to be a pee sized kill zone.

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well... feathers are edible I guess... Cool video... that was cool watching them scramble after the shot. BLNT!

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When are you going to let them come in a little closer so you can kill one? :poke:

6. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I wish it mattered but I have screwed it up at 5yds also

7. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff man, tough luck on the shot...but, great audio!:tu:

Beautiful place for sure!

8. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    LOL ..

9. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    That is the exact reason I am done using my bullheads. I don't like them one bit. Got my killzones on my arrows now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Bullhead is not to blame. Put the birds IN the decoys, let them settle in, and make a quality shot.

11. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I agree that the shot wasn't ideal for using bullheads. There are so many factors that go into a hunt and you never know what is going to happen...if a bird is going to hang up at 25 yards and a bunch of other factors. But you are not going to be able to switch your arrow that is sitting in your bow when the bird is coming in from a bullhead to a normal broadhead arrow, this is the reason I am only going to use my killzones so I am ready for any situation. We only have a one week season in wisconsin unless you buy more tags so I need to make the little time I have count.

I lost a bird last year using a Magnus because when I shot the bird standing at 12 yards moved his head and I missed his head and just got body. The bullheads don't puncture through feathers I had a tiny hole and got a little blood. That bird would have been dead with a normal broadhead

The body of the bird doesn't move as quickly as the turkeys head

12. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I never blamed the bullheads, I love em. The bird was only 23 yds, I have the Bullhead shooting great at that distance, I simply pulled the shot a touch right. Not blaming anyone but myself. I would have let the birds work in closer but with my 4 yr old son in the blind I was pretty happy getting them to 20 without getting busted

13. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    If you watched the entire video you would see I made a follow up shot with a normal BH. As far as I am concerned the initial shot was ideal for the Bullhead. I tuned the Bullheads at 20 yds and was comfortable taking the shot.

buncha grumps this weekend eh

14. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Yup I saw the follow up shot with the other broadhead. When I was practicing with my Magnus a year ago I felt comfortable at 20 yards too. I would have taken the same shot you did but I guess I should have said its not as ideal as a 10 yard shot but that's like most shots...the closer the better. I'm not dissing anything in your hunt....it's what happens. I just don't like the Magnus for the reason that if you don't hit the head or neck you will not get the bird (no penetration in feathers). For that reason I'm going to keep my killzones as the first arrow sitting on my rest in the morning.

My hunt was identical to yours except my bird was a touch closer. I also had to make an attempt with a follow up with my normal arrow.

15. gltomp1

gltomp1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool video TJ better luck next time. At least you in the young man got to see some action.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

16. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the deal. If you use quality decoys, set up properly, and be patient ... birds don't hang up. 90%+ of the time they come in to and engage the decoys, offering an EASY head shot. The cool part about the Bullhead is that it is a hit and die or miss clean head. That what it was designed to do. Either kill a bird in the head/neck, clean miss, or bounce off the body. It is not designed for a feather impact and that is the beauty of it. If you smack one in the feathers, it bounces off, and the bird lives to fight another day. He might be a little sore, but 99% of the time he is going to be completely fine. If you even so much as nick the fleshy part of his neck he bleeds out quick. If you body shoot birds with a Killzone or any other body shot broadhead and you are off target you wound the bird, he goes off, you often don't find him, and he dies days later. I'll take a miss with a Bullhead rather than a body shot that misses it's mark any day of the week.

The head/neck shot on a turkey is the EASIEST shot in all of bow hunting. The target is so clearly defined, which is NOT the case with the body shot. Yes the head moves ... so does the body and all of the feathers. If you let the bird engage the decoys, they will stop moving long enough for a clean shot. Patience is the key. Shooting turkeys in the head is a "head game" ... it is in your head. Tell yourself that you can do it and it is as easy as shooting a Coke can laying out on the ground in front of you.

17. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OP ... it is awesome that you put a bird in front of your son and enjoyed a hunt together. Stick with it, put the birds in closer, and it will pay off with a Bullhead sooner or later.