Turkey Hunting on Windy Days

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by BigPhil_H, Apr 15, 2014.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out of school and back home for the week - we had a pretty good cold front come through today and it brought moderately heavy winds with it. It's supposed to carry 16mph winds tomorrow and Thursday and I was wondering what kind of advice yall could offer me regarding hunting in windy situations. I understand I'll have to be on my toes because I wont hear them coming, but are the birds going to want to stay in heavier cover or in bottoms, how is it going to affect their patterns and how much they gobble?

Thanks in advance,

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was always told that on windy days the birds will tend to stay around open areas because they have a hard time hearing and seeing things in the woods when its windy.

3. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    they will be in the open in the valleys or ridgetops and call aggressive an loud, boxes or long boxes work great. Scoot

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    16 MPH? That's a cake walk. I don't worry until they are over 20! Most days the winds are light at day break and just before dark. Get it done before it picks up! If its really windy bang on the box call! I'll never forget one time on my way back to the truck I spotted a gobbler a quarter of a mile up the fence line. The wind was gusting to 30+ MPH. I setup and was banging on the call. I would call and then see what kind of reaction he had using binos. I could see him stick his head out and make a gobble motion but never could hear him. He gobbled all the way into me at 40 yards. I never did hear him gobble. lol!