Shot Placement

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by 68pointbuck, Mar 12, 2014.

1. 68pointbuck

68pointbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am wanting to get back into Turkey hunting this Spring, but have never bow hunted for them. I have seen some youtube videos of people that shoot them in the neck, basically decapitating them... But I'm not sure I'm ready for that lol. Just wanting some advice for good shot placement, so I'm not watching a big tom run off with my arrow and broadhead.

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting a turkey in the head and neck is the easiest shot in all of bow hunting. It is literally a "head game" ... meaning it is all in your head.

1) It is a larger kill zone. The head and neck comprise a larger area in terms of square inches than the heart/lungs/liver area inside of a turkey.

2) It is a clearly defined target. Nothing looks like a turkey's head and neck. It is clearly defined at most every angle a turkey can present to you (the exception being facing away while he is strutting). On a body shot, the target is not defined. It is visually confusing as he turns and his feathers go up and down. There is no "spot" to pick to aim at. The head and neck is the "spot".

3) Guys claim that they never stop moving their head and neck. Absolutely not true. Put a bird in the decoys and let him settle in and he will stop moving many times for long enough to draw, anchor, and shoot.

4) It is kill or miss 99.999% of the time. Many birds are lost every year to body shots mainly because of shot placement. Body shot birds are tough to track if they don't go down right away as blood is soaked up by the feathers. Head neck shot birds generally drop where they stand and if they are grazed they bleed excessively not going too far and providing an easy blood trail to track.

5) No damaged meat on a head/neck shot bird. Body shot birds most always have at least one of the breasts damaged. Get that arrow in the guts and you have feces leaking into the meat. I once watched as one of my hunting buddies had to throw out 2/3 of a bird because the bird was rotting from the inside out by the time we found it and he could get another arrow in it.

6) Easiest shot in all of archery. You don't believe me, I know it. But what if I took a Coke can and tossed it 20 yards out on the ground and said "I will give you this $100 bill if you hit it." You'd take that bet and 95% of the time I'd have to give up that $100 bill to you. So then why do you feel that you cannot hit a turkey in the head/neck? The target is 2X the size of a Coke can and you are often using a head chopping broadhead that is about 4" cutting diameter, giving you a huge margin of error. Again ... the game is in YOUR head. Personally, given the choice, I'll take a 15 yard shot at a turkey's head over a 15 yard shot at a broadside deer any day of the week. It boils down to a clearly defined point of aim.

7) It is just too much fun to shoot them in the head. That "CRACK" sound upon impact is worth the price of admission alone!

Commit to shooting them in the head ... you won't regret making the decision ... I guarantee it!:rock:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. 68pointbuck

68pointbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lol thanks for the info. #7 is truly disturbing, but I must say your overall joyfulness in that statement is very intriguing! I might just have to give it a try this Spring. We can take two birds, so I'll probably go the shotgun route to easy back in (its been awhile since I've been in the turkey woods) and then I'll give it a try!

Any broadhead recommendations?

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    DEC, very convincing!!! I have been wanting to try those heads out for some time now, my only concern now is with shooting a Spot Hogg Hogg-It sight I am not sure the blades will clear the sight housing due to the 5 inch dovetail and it sitting out further on the bow. If I can't swing a head chopping braodhead this season then NAP Gobbler Getters or Killzones will be in my quiver.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Many people need a longer arrow for this reason. Me? I'm using Gobbler Getters and that is the end of it.

7. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I know I'd def need a longer arrow, but what is too long...ya know. I feel like in order to clear the sight housing I'd need a 34-35 plus inch arrow. Might be sticking to Gobbler Getters myself! lol

8. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buy the Bullhead arrows that Magnus sells. They are spined properly and long enough that they should clear your site in most cases.

9. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Bullheads last week! My goal is to decapitate at least 3 birds this upcoming season. I go on spring break the 29th and plan on spending my break in KS chasing birds if it all works out!

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Great Pics and Advice!^

11. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg

Here's a photo showing the vitals.

12. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any body have experience getting a bird mounted after taking the head off? Is it an issue for the taxidermist? Considering they have to freeze dry and re-paint? If I happen to kill a nice bird I like the option of adding it to the game room!

13. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice for new hunters to see this. Thanks for sharing that.

14. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you keep the arrow above the feather line (as it should be) then there is no problem. They don't generally freeze dry the head from your turkey anyway. They either use a real freeze dried head that they buy or they use a fake head.

15. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My taxi does freeze dried and a could have sworn he sent out my last one to have it dried. But I suppose if he can buy one it's all the same... Thanks!

16. marine0231

marine0231 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry chiming in a little late but great thread. I am also looking at getting into turkey hunting this year and thanks for the shot placement images.