How do I keep turkey around ?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Brandon42166, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Brandon42166

Brandon42166 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the last several years after spring my turkey vanish only to be seen sometimes in the fall on my neighbors hillside. In ky you can't bait turkey ... How can I keep turkey on my place for fall season? I pour a lot of corn out starting in late July /august for my deer and it is rare I see a turkey even in my deer corn pile

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Set up some very large bird feeders

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Turkeys don't bother your corn piles? I I would gladly trade you turkey populations :lol: I can't keep the damn things off mine!

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brandon...pour some 'Wild Turkey' Bourbon or 'shine on that corn and see what happens... :poke:

5. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing happens every year here in NY. In the spring, hens and toms all over our lease. This fall, I haven't laid eyes on a one of them, and the trail cams have had hens and poults about 2 times. As long as they are here in the spring, I'm a happy man.

6. Brandon42166

Brandon42166 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No not often ....and in the spring they are pretty thick ...I killed a 28 lbs two years ago

7. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the spring it's like the rut for turkey's, turkey's roost in a tree but when it comes time to lay eggs they do it on the ground, so they flock up in the fall and winter and go someplace void of predators and pressure. So to keep them on you I would say make some real thick cover, and shoot all the coons and coyotes you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you just need a good fall time food supply(they are hammering the acorns, corn, apples, various greens, and turnips all fall here)...seems we have the opposite from you. Lots of turkeys for the summer and tons of them in the fall and about the same as summer through the winter, then about 2-4 weeks before spring season(basically soon as all the snow is gone) opens up they disappear for about a month and a half.

9. Brandon42166

Brandon42166 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, my cover is thick to thick for good bow hunting but great for wildlife....maybe the coons and coyotes are the problem which ky just legalized coyote hunting at night only three months though you can use a light but I understand their thinking.... lights only be used during the months deer shed the antlers

10. Brandon42166

Brandon42166 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I did sneak off into some horrible thick woods today where I usually don't go cause they no way off not spooking every deer in it and seen some scratching around some oaks maybe I got a few this fall