3rd Year Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ECP1989, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ECP1989

ECP1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my 3rd year Turkey Hunting. Haven't had to opportunity to take a shot on a bird yet. I have gotten gobbles from the black dots on the map and have seen Turkey standing in the middle of fields on other peoples property. The white dots are a house and a shed Where Would be a good spot to set up decoys and my blind? I was thinking of trying in the middle of the field with decoys facing the woods. This is in Central MN, May 7th-30th so it's the end of the season. Any help would be appreciated!

hunting land.jpg

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would get in the woods as close as I could to where you are hearing the birds gobble. If they are in there, and I'm assuming you can hunt the woods, your best bet would be to try and call a bird to you in the woods before they make it out to the neighbors fields.

3. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, you will have much more luck if you think about trying to figure out a pattern on turkeys, than thinking about calling turkeys to a location. What I mean by this, is the calling part gets easier if you can get yourself positioned in their travel pattern. It comes down to scouting. Watch from a distance, and listen to them. You will be able to hear and/or see what they are doing. When it comes time to hunt, get yourself in between where they are and where they're going, and your opportunities will come. They like to travel high points coming out to a field, and look for those openings in the woods, where they like to spend time strutting. Good luck, and keep us posted!