mouth calls.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by _DANNY_, Aug 19, 2011.

1. _DANNY_

_DANNY_ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i cant seem to get it down. i have been using it for a long time now 3 months or so. i feel my hen yelp is to high. i have looked at video after video nothing seems to help do you guys suggest a nice mouth call i'm looking to get a new one, something i can do a range of turkey talk on. any tips would be great thanks a lot guys!

note* i'm using the Diamond Select 3 by primos

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you. I use one but I'm not consistent.
    Thinking of going to a slate call or box call.

3. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use to be good with them but after i had jaw surgery i can not seem to get it down again.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an hour drive home from work. I keep it in there to practice with. After a few months I can just barely make a noise. I Fail at mouth calls.

5. cvick48

cvick48 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it took me a long time to get down. i used to use the cheap brands just for learning and i could never get it. then i bought a more expensive brand(i think it was flex tone) and immediately i had it on the first try. its really hard to explain how to do it but you just need to keep trying different tongue positions. practice makes perfect!

6. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I found sometimes trimming the call down to fit better can help alot. Cut of little at a time until it fits better. Also bending them a little can help too. Good luck man!

7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Is it better to just go with a slats or box call?
    I like how small and easy the mouth calls are to have on you but if you can't get them to call in jakes and Tom's then.......?

8. houseoftoes

houseoftoes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out and bought some flex tone mouth calls and practiced for hours...cleaning the house, doing school work, playing with the kids. No matter what could not get it right. I even tried it in my blind and it sounded horrible, not to mention could not keep the same tone for one call to the next( scared turkeys away) I bought a glass slate call and it is awesome. I picked a good line in it
    at home so I could get the slooowww chearps and then some medium sounds also. I will stick with them over the mouth calls any
    day.

9. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Box calls are really loud and you can make some awesome clucks and purrs as well as yelps. I like slate calls but if they get a little wet they dont work as well. Thats why some guys use glass ones, Ive never tried one in the field before. Box calls are also sensitive to water. Mouth calls are nice cause you can call while you are aiming your bow/gun. Which is nice cause with a gun its always nice to get a head shot while they are gobbling and a couple quick yelps gets them gobbling. Good luck to ya!

10. dgable

dgable Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started to learn I bought the Demolition Crew pack from Knight & Hale not knowing that they were a more expert level call to use. I couldn’t figure out for the life of me how to use them. Then I went to Cabela’s and bought the Knight & Hale youth starter kit that has 2 basic calls and a little case for them. I had it working pretty well in about 20 minutes after I started using them. I still can’t use the expert ones, but it will just take more practice. That’s what I suggest, plus I got all 5 of the calls for $22, so that’s cheap enough to just mess around with them. Hope this helps you guys a little.

11. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I may pick up a slate next time I'm out but I did like the convenience of the mouth call. When I was not calling I just slipped in my sleeve and it was ready when the next bird came along.

12. hunthard

hunthard Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It took me awhile to learn , its not a have to have in your vest, but always carry an assortment of calls when turkey hunting .Try to have different friction calls and strikers, that way each sound is different , and you get more gobblers to answer back GOOD LUCK and never give up

13. ekphoto

ekphoto Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i tried a dozen mouth calls before I found one that fit my mouth well. Apparently I have narrow teeth and all other calls were too wide and wouldnt sit up in the roof of my mouth. I read a post somewhere to look for youth or small calls. I now have the H.R. Strut SM EZ RASP. Night and day difference.

couple tips:
    -make sure you have it right side up. one latex reed might be shorter than the other. on mine this goes on the bottom, facing out.
    -practice just exhaling to make a sound. like saying "heeee" i found on the calls i had previously, I couldn't even get this to work. so I think I was doomed from the get go. on the EZ RASP, it just felt natural and worked right away.

just out of curiosity, what are you "saying" when you yelp? I foudn that "cheet", "cheet"...."chalk"..."chalk" sequence works really well for me. best of luck!

14. _DANNY_

_DANNY_ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i say chick when i yelp lately i have been doing better.

15. NHbowman

NHbowman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hooks makes a great call

16. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just started trying with a mouth call. Can do a lot better inhaling than I can exhaling. Inhaling got tones right off. Exhaling - nothing. Have the call in correctly, short reed on the bottom and reeds to the front. I am blaming it on dentures ? ?

Did another 45 min practice this afternoon. Finally got a little tone but got a heck of a buzz on the tip of my tougue that felt like an electric shock. Had my tougue and lips buzzing for 20 min. Drawing in air workd OK but wrong sound. Exhaling - nothing.
    Something is not right. I like the idea of a mouth call but not if I have to go through all of that every time I try to use one. Slate call works a lot better.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my 2nd year calling. My dad gave me a Quaker Boy mouth call and seems to work fine. It's a bit hard to do good soft calls but loud calling no problem. It does take some practice to get it right though. Spring is the perfect time to practice. Go out about 2 or 3 weeks early in the field, practice and see if you can get something to come in. Watching videos will help but getting out there and doing it is better. You may not sound exactly like a video but if you get a hot loner tom within ear shot, he may not care as much as you think. I'll also call more in the afternoon and and almost none in the morning. Better chance of finding toms and jakes then since in my experience, they'll roam a lot more later in the day.

18. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    get the primos three pack mouth call and instruction CD. amazing how much that CD helps. I play it and practice to and from work.

19. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got the DVD with the 3 different mouth calls. Good video, no problem there. Still get that buzzing sensation on the tip of my tongue. Either I am doing something wrong or just not going to be able to use mouth calls. Slate and box are a ton easier and use them with the DVD so not all was lost.

20. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: