Trail Cam location App

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Skywalker, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, for those of us that run a substantial fleet of trail cams, what App are you using to keep track of their locations? I'm sure some just do it off memory, but I just can't do that. I will move them around fairly regularly and get confused as to where they should be. I found one last year that had been out two seasons. I actually thought it had been stolen because it wasn't where I thought I had left it. Ended up that I had moved it late in the season to an area I don't walk through too often.

I used to use MyTracks for Android to keep track of my stands, trails, and trail cams but they discontinued that App. I kinda like an app that will track my path and allow me to drop pins and name them.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could use the Antler Insanity App or the Scout Look Hunting app. I use both of them to map my tree stand locations. You could also use them to mark trail cams.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I typically use Google Earth Pro on my computer to manage their locations. As I move them around I change the position or info on the map. I also use MyTracks to track scouting trips, shed hunts, etc and then import those into the same Google map. So for each properly I hunt the map will contain property lines, camera locations, stand locations and scouting trips. I can then turn each of those items on and off as needed.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Garmin Rino. I use it the same way as JZ uses Google Earth Pro, but it is also 100% functional in areas where there is no cell coverage. It also works as a 2 way radio, plus if another hunter in my group has one I can see their position and vice versa at all times.

When done marking waypoints for stands and cams, or tracks from scouting or walk in routes........I can upload the info to my laptop and see everything on topos or aerials. I can also dump it to Google Earth if I want to see it there.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang those things sound sweet......very very salty but sweet.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can buy a refurb. Mine is an older 535hcx and I got it as a refurb for $250 or so. The newer touch screen units are nice but just don't offer enough extra value for the added money.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Garmin Colorado, but I'm all about consolidating what I have to carry. The cell phone does everything I need and the GPS still works even when I don't have cell signal.

8. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunts stand works good. It's fairly accurate and you can store a bunch of info and spots. Gets you really close so you can find those cameras.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  9. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use onxmaps and just drop a waypoint at the camera after setting them up plus with all the other features that it comes with is a big plus.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm another Google Earth Pro user. I have so much info under my "Hunting" tab, it's crazy.

I use the MotionX GPS app on my iPhone to enter in locations and tracks. I also have an old Garmin eTrex GPS, but I haven't needed to use it in years.

11. Fullrut1

Fullrut1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my garmin rino 650 to mark all of my camera locations and use google earth pro in conjuction. Its nice to be able to see the terrain features around the camera locations. I also keep a small notebook with all my camera locations written down by coordinates, never know when the gps may crap out on you lol

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use anything to keep track of them.

The only cameras I ever lost were in a box that I sat out of the ranger in the shed off to the side and it got something parked in front of it and I forgot about it. I thought I lost them off the back of the ranger for most of last year. I think I mentioned losing one of my Covert black flash cameras...it was in that box, safe in the shed, lol. It's back out now.