Stealth cam P12

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CToutdoorsman, May 29, 2016.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered this camera of amazon for a steal... safe to say when the camera wants to work it works great and when it doesn't it is frustrating, i figured since i got it cheap online it would have problems. Any body every use this series and had problems with it?

2. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im using the P14 and I checked it, the pics were ok, but with all of the tracks I feel it didn't take all of the pictures it should have. And the sensors aren't very sensitive at all, which can be good for trees but can be bad. The pics were a little grainy but I think it works ok. Hope you get it to work

3. TreebillyOutdoors

TreebillyOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have used StealthCams for years and have very little problems. A few things I have noticed over the years that may help you guys.
    1. Stealth cams seem to have a higher focal point than many other brands. Try setting your cams either lower to the ground or on a mount higher with the cam tilted forward/down. (example: I have had turkeys trigger a cam that was only 2 ft off the ground, aimed level, and I was only catching their heads, I put a small stick behind the top and the turkeys became more entered in the frame.)
    2. Seeing lots of tracks and think you're missing pics? Check your settings. I like to use at least a 3 pic burst, with minimal time between. (Example: While using 1 pic setting with 1 min interval the animals can move around and leave lots of tracks in 1 min time) Try a 3 pic burst with 15 sec recovery, or video mode if applicable, this will allow you to see how much they shift around in front of the camera.
    3. Positioning matter no matter the brand. If you put a cam 10 yards off a trail aimed perpendicular to the trail, a deer can easily cross the trail before the pic is snapped. Try to set cams aiming down the trail, this will allow more time to get the pic before the animal crosses the frame. STC_0040.jpg STC_0040.jpg notice the lead deer is almost out of frame as they crossed perpendicular to the cam.

4. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For mine it isn't that it takes bad pictures it is i will leave it in the field for 12 days come back and ill walk in front of it i see the the camera take the picture but then there is nothing there i think it could be a problem with the transfer from the camera to the SD card i Use the nice Sandisk cards so i'm not sure why it does it.....the other problem i have is it seems like the battery compartment is to big because when i check the camera after i turn it off then back on it wont, ill tap the side of it and it will work for a second then go back off so i'm not sure what the heck is going on i think the next one i buy will be a newer model.

5. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have mine set to a 3 photo burst every 30 seconds