Plotwatcher

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by youngfart, Mar 18, 2016.

1. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone use one of these? What are the good and the bad of them? I've done a ton of research on it and it sounds like it has many uses and the picture quality is the only downfall as 90% of the pictures are from a distance like 100' or more. Pro's sound like you get more of a better count on the game what's is in your bush! Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks
    Rocky

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Several of my trailcams have this feature but I've never used it. One advantage I could see would be being able to pinpoint where the deer are most likely to move in and out of the fields.

Blessings........Pastorjim

3. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the function on my moultrie m-880. It does the job on a field edge. I don't hunt private anymore though so it doesn't make sense for me to use since I have no fields.

4. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    Jim
    I get the use for the field edges as it really could be useful to know which trail there using most to enter the field and which one they use to exit the field , so it could be useful in pinpointing where to set up a blind or stand. Thanks Jim
    DVO
    I understand what your saying DVO, battery life is supposed to be great, wouldn't it enable you to focus on where the deer are entering your foodplots in the bush? Sounds like this feature doesn't miss much like so many TC's do with the slower shutter speeds. Even if the TC misses the picture of the selected deer or game it'll still pick it up on the individual photo burst.
    Thanks JIM & DVO for your input
    Rocky

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed!! I only see a benefit if you want to know where exactly a deer is entering the field.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It has its uses, but ive never done used them.

7. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would add when I used the M-880 set up like that it helped figure out when deer were in the field during daylight. The field I had it on was too big to cover the whole thing. But since the M-880 could be set up for plot watcher and sensor trigger I did get some deer walking the edge with the camera.
    I wouldn't buy a camera without that double feature if I had fields or plots to put it on but I don't.

8. Wacker

Wacker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have two plotwatchers. We use them for surveillance on a few rental properties. Work great. But when they are not being used for surveillance I use them in the woods. They are great for scouting food plots / fields. I've used them in tress stands as well, open timber. Basically they help you determine where the majority of the movement is located and if there is any consistency of when the animals show up. The plotwatcher has custom settings which really aid in the scouting process- saving memory and battery life. The software that comes with the camera is extremely easy to use and it sets itself apart from a regular trail camera. The camera compresses the pictures down. So you are not able to get good detail of a deer from 50-60 yards on out. Granted that's not the purpose of the camera.
    The advantages I would say the plotwatcher cameras have over any trail cameras that have the time lapse capability is the compression of all the files (pictures) to the SD card and the software to view the time lapsed images. If you set up the plotwatcher just right you can get a whole months of scouting on one 32GB card and still have 100% battery life. The disadvantage is trying to get a close up view of a particular buck or animal from a long distance away. You can do it but the picture quality is not great.

9. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    Wacker
    Thanks for the info guy, really appreciate it . I really don't need it for telling the size of rack they have . just want to know were they go in the bush when they leave and the times would be good too!
    Rocky

10. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had two Plotwatcher's and ended up selling both of them. They work only in daytime and the pics I got in a open field were so fuzzy I couldn't make out much if it was a buck.

11. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love the time lapse feature for turkeys on large fields

When used in conjunction with the timer feature you can pick the interval and what times of day you want the camera to trigger

Most of the new cameras have both time lapse and timer features and higher MP will allow you to zoom in on critters that are father away

12. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Pat
    I really only needed it for it capabilities of showing me ware the game is entering and leaving the field and the times from a distance. This way I won't be detected.
    Rocky

13. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the camera. I put it over my food plots figure out where/when exactly the deer use the plot and then position my trail cameras on the trail accordingly. If done correctly you will get the deer on the plot watcher over the field and then on the trail camera when they enter or leave the field to see the specific deer. Without the plot watcher I was putting my trail cameras over trails that were not used as much as others and realized I was missing a ton of pictures and information.

14. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the same on the browning trail camera. I put the camera on my tree stands that are on fields. That way I can get an idea where the deer are coming from and if I need to move the stand. The only down fall is if you let them run for a while it takes some time to go through all the footage. No horrible but longer than flipping through pics. I also put lithium batteries in when using this feature and can usually get almost a year out of them before changing batteries. No flash is being used so helps with battery life too.

15. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The plot watcher has an amazing program to view the files in and it doesn't take long at all. You can scan for only when motion in detected in the pictures. It compiles it into a small video to watch at any speed you want. you can record any parts of the day you choose. I love it. But if I had already had a trail camera with a time-lapse feature I would not have spent the money. I wanted 1 for only that purchase and that's why I got the Plot watcher. There is definitely a lot of options when it comes to which camera.

16. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made a mistake and got the Primos version. While it worked fine, viewing became a real problem. Java issues, needed updates, Windows 10 and Java issues...just not worth the hassle. Should have gone with the plotwatcher from the start. I found it good to obtain trail use and time frames during daylight hours.