Covert Cameras

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by SD-Bowhunter, Oct 10, 2016.

1. SD-Bowhunter

SD-Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Been a while since I have posted anything but really enjoy reading and learning all that everyone shares. I purchased 4 Coverts 3-4 years ago and have always been very impressed with the quality of pictures I've gotten from them, especially for the price I paid. I have two MP8s and two MP8 blacks I believe. This year however, I've had nothing but troubles with them filling up SD cards in a day or two with wind (or even no wind) pictures. I always do my best to get the obvious moving objects out of the way on a camera set but here in South Dakota, it's pretty much a given the wind is going to blow and something will be moving.

The question I have for you guys if anyone has had these similar problems? I format the SD card every time I put a new one in and run the sensitivity on normal. I tried moving one to low sensitivity this time to see how that goes. I have recently moved so am traveling 45 minutes or so to hunt for the first year so it's a little frustrating checking them after 6 weeks only to see they stopped taking pictures 3 days after I left. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you turned the time lapse on

If more than one is doing it I would assume its user error

Are you getting false triggers at night too ?

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try moving one to a totally different location and hang it 6 feet or so off the ground.

4. SD-Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought maybe they got switched to time lapse too, but they weren't. I have them on 3 shot burst with 5 second interval. Moved them all after the 1st round hoping that'd solve the problem and it didn't seem to help. The one interesting thing I noticed after looking through a lot of the pictures is generally, they would start taking the wind pictures around 1pm. Not sure if that's just a coincidence or if there's something to be said about it. I moved 2 of them up way high and angled them down like you mentioned SharpeEye and we'll see if that helps. I'm used to having an idea of what's out there going into the first few sits of the year but maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise this year with no previous inventory. Thanks for the input guys!

5. gunther89

gunther89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our coverts take wind pictures all the time. It doesn't matter if its the mpe5, mpe6 or red 40, they all love to take wind pictures. I have had it happen in the woods where it triggers non stop and no the time lapse mode isn't on.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The sturdy-ness of the tree it is hung in can play a factor too....some of my best sets are on saplings....price I pay is many wavering triggers.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try changing the intervals to 15 or 30 seconds and see how that goes.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All three of my Coverts do that. I'm talking Red 40s. I've simply accepted it as part of the deal.

9. matt.neff.12

matt.neff.12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes the angle of the sun causes shadows which will cause your camera to false trigger. Set the sensor to high and see if it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

10. midnighthunter

midnighthunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up six MP8s this year. Nothing but 5 stars from me. I do get some wind pics but its going to be going blowing CRAZY. I use standard Duracell batteries 16Gb chip and will last me 5-6 weeks and receive over 5 thousand deer pics with maybe 50 wind pics.

11. SD-Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched all mine over to 2 shot burst, 30 second interval this weekend and the couple that I had moved higher up in the tree looked a lot better. Put all of them over scrapes so it's going to be a long couple of weeks waiting to check again. This is my favorite time of year to get pics of bucks working scrapes.

12. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Coverts started taking green pics this year for some reason? They are in their 3rd season, and have been used heavily.

I'll likely add 4 or 5 more after the season. Thinking twice about Covert now though..

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out here we have wind and sun to trigger cameras. A 40+ degree temperature change isn't uncommon so even a camera pointed at rocks will get false triggers when they heat up. We also often have no trees or difficult trees to mount cameras. Little wind catching scrub oaks or aspen. Heat absorbing and crooked junipers... or nothing but sagebrush. Makes it a challenge.

I use 8 to 16 gig cards and sort through a lot of non critter pics. Good times. :)

14. dingodango

dingodango Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run 3 Covert cameras here in the great state of SD as well. I would consider myself lucky to find a good set where wind does not come into play regularly. Best approach I have come across is the hang them high trick, and even then it can be hit or miss depending on wind direction and severity. May I ask what part of the state do you hunt in SD?

15. SD-Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt primarily the SE part of SD.