Cellular cameras?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by bferg11, Nov 22, 2016.

1. bferg11

bferg11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I've been thinking of getting a cellular camera or 2 to try, but I'm not sure about the data plans and what not. The stealth cam I'm looking at says it's equipped with an att sim card. I have att already and I also have unlimited data with my cell phone plan. Would it be as simple as paying the 10 bucks to add a device to my phone plan to get data coverage to the phone? Also any other opinions of the cameras or little things you discovered after the fact that would be handy to know?

Thanks in advance

2. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have the SPARTAN go-cam went with it because were i hunt only have Verizon signal $5.00 a mo. there ATT and T is $25.00 for 3 mo about the same with taxs on verizon they have a great app for cell phones / make sure you have a signal before you buy

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The plans for these cameras are completely separate from your personal phone data plan.

I would purchase a camera based off of what the best service is at your hunting spot and I would start off with the smallest plan you can until you figure everything out.

I run the Covert Blackhawk (Verizon) and I really like it but, it does take some time in the field to set it up properly. Bought mine on ebay for $250!!

4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a really good deal!

5. bferg11

bferg11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really need to worry about which provider as they both have service in the area. Is there setting of when it will send pictures or how many pictures it will send to you? And once a data limit is reached to the stop relaying pictures or do you get overage charges?

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never reached the max photos on my plan, 10,000 of them, so I am not sure. I would assume that the camera would just stop sending photos until the cycle restarted. The photos taken during this time would just be stored on the cams sd card.

I know for the Covert cameras you can have them send photos instantly in real time or you can have them send a daily report with all of the photos combined. I have mine set for a 3 photo burst but, only the first photo is sent to your phone.

Covert has a cool app for viewing all the photos and taking real-time photos but, I have not been able to update my software yet to utilize these features.

banhg6 likes this.
  7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you get the Covert Code Black and add it to your plan the price will pretty much be flat. You can either send the pictures using data or via a text. If you have unlimited data you have no worries. If you don't and have unlimited texting then you are covered as well. The Covert sends the picture straight to your cell phone and you get it within a minute if you have good cell service. I send mine via text as I don't have unlimited data. The price would be like adding a non-smart phone. The Covert does like batteries. I put 12 rechargeable AA batteries in it and connected it to a 12v battery and that to a solar charger. That will usually last a few months before going dead but the signal in that area is low so its a drain even on my cell phone batteries.

8. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very happy wth my Spartan. Easy set up, good pictures, good app, sends the pictures fast.
    I have low service in my area so I got a booster antenna and external 6v hooked up to it. Running flawless now. I can get 5,000+ images out of that external battery. About 800-1200 with AA and 2,000 with lithium. Cell cams ear batteries so go external right away and get two of them so you can hook one up while the other is home charging.

banhg6 likes this.
  9. bferg11

bferg11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys..you all have been very helpful. Hopefully I'll be making my decision soon

10. chewey8855

chewey8855 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Covert all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk