Cell cams

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by DVO, Jun 25, 2016.

1. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for some opinions on cell cams. I'm 100% ready to jump into the cell cam world but having a really hard time making up my mind.

Looking for advice on 3 brands.

1. Covert (code black or Blackhawk)
    2. Spartan
    3. Stealth cam

Just looking for experiences people have had with those 3 as far as how easy the set up was and how well they work in more remote areas. I thinking picking the camera will be the easier part. Deciding on Verizon or AT&T will be the hard part.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that service will be more of the answer than which model.
    One of my favorite "honey holes" has no service and yet if I go less than a hundred yards, I have five bars.
    Don't you just hate hills?

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ x1000! The Service you get will make the decision for you. If it is in an area that you have great reception no matter the carrier, then you will have a harder decision. I have used the Covert cams and when the coverage is good, they work Awesome! Easy to setup. One note on the Covert Blackhawk. In some cases, it will not send pics to one number, but will to another. Even if the numbers are on a Family plan. There is an App you have to download from Verizon to fix this if this happens to you.

4. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My issue is I have a Verizon phone and have ok but not great service in the area i hunt. I have been told that AT&T has pretty decent service there but haven't had anyone with me to check on it. I know I had 2 or 3 bars this past week in the area I want the cam.

5. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a deep hatred for cell cams.

When they work their great but when they don't they're 200 miles away and cant be fixed without making a trip to them and its never an actual camera issue its always cell related.

6. rfagar

rfagar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Use Bushnell wireless with AT&T service. Agree with comment that service coverage is more important. Also have Covert and Reconix non-wireless cameras on properties. Bushnell's have been reliable over past 18 months....coverage works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've setup many code blacks for customers and they have been stellar, 400$ plus services, ranging from 25$ for 3 months... another option you should look at is the Moultrie Modems that will be released on the market soon, 200$ for their "modem" is what they are calling it, It plugs into most 2015 and newer moultries and sends images to a Cloud or app account that you download onto your phone. If you have moultries already it will be super beneficial because you can switch cam to cam with a plug.

If you want the Covert they recently updated to the cloud/app thing as well which is cool because you don't have to download pics to your phone and save them on there, plus you can adjust cam settings from app.

8. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will 2 bars on my phone be enough service or will I need at least 3?

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With Verizon you're more than likely using At&t towers anyways. Turn off your roaming and see what you have signal wise.

10. NA Cammer

NA Cammer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have both Blackhawks and Code Blacks. I have one Code Black in an area with 2 bars of service and the Covert App tells me it has a 40% signal level. It has been working like a champ.

11. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have a spartan go cam Verizon i get 1 to 2 bars on camera and my phone no problem sending pictures and there app is nice for the pictures and changing settings on the camera we have no at&t where we hunt what i did was walk through the woods and take pictures and tex them to my son he got all of them

12. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up ordering a spartan gocam today. Found one for $329 new. What plan did you go with for data? The spot I want to put it in I have a camera taking about 3,000 pictures a month on a 30 second delay. Is the app worth the extra money?

13. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like it get pictures on lab top and cell phone i think you get a mo. free to see if you like it

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    agreed!!

15. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

What data plan did you go with? I'm just curious which one I should get. It looks like with Verizon you have two options? With SMS or without SMS. I'm not really sure what the difference is. I see the with SMS Is like $3 more.

16. matt.neff.12

matt.neff.12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 2015 code blacks and they both have been great for me. Easy to setup and 25 dollars for 3 months is fairly cheap imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

17. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    1 GB over 3 months for $25 will be more than enough. Also, the premium service is 100% worth the few bucks per month. Being able to download HD photos, zoom in on photos, manage pics and camera settings is definitely worth it.

18. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It took a little longer than I thought it would to get my Spartan set up but I finally got it to send me a test picture.
    Pretty excited to get it in the woods now and see what happens.

19. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DVO got mine in apr, love it its real time game cameraing just ordered another one friday will play with it next week one thing i did do was get a 6 volt battery for it just a battery no charger its not in the sun mostly pines but its got 2500 pic. still good hope you enjoy it bill

20. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a covert code black for Xmas from my fiancé. I haven't set it up yet... I hope to in the next month or so
    just haven't had time.