Cameras don't necesarily mean...

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 21, 2016.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SQUAT!!!!!!!!

I just ran the cameras here at home, 4 of them. I got back and looked at them expecting to see some big boys, I got does and fawns and some small bucks.

That's okay except I saw four (what appeared to be monsters) bucks just north east of the last camera about 100 yards. There's an old yard full of brush next to a 23 acre bean field, they exited the corner of it and went across the beans. I got to see them go across the field and they were all extremely nice bucks. I couldn't count their points but their frames were all wide and tall. I was pumped because I just knew I'd have several pics of them on that covert camera. I about puked when all that was on it was 500+ pics of does and fawns at that trophy rock...blagh.

So, if you aren't getting any pics of big bucks, don't get discouraged..it is easily possible they are just avoiding your camera or just happen to be missing getting in front of them. You never know what's walking around out there no matter what cameras or how many cameras you're running.:rock:

2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree and think the same. I have a known real nice 8pt that I know is using an area SnS I have 2 cameras in that immediate area that I have moved around trying to get him and I have only gotten 3-4 pictures of him over the past 4 months.

3. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I have a lot of cameras out right now and I'm not seeing the pics I'm use to getting. I just keep telling myself that the camera just takes a very small sample of the woods.

4. bigEhaw

bigEhaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree too. I farm the property that I hunt and I've seen a couple bucks going into the fields at night to check pivots. Don't have pics of them on any of my several cameras out there. I always seem to see at least one shooter while hunting that I've never had on camera.

5. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Location > attractant. Of the 3 cams I'm running and the three studs I'm currently "watching", I have only a single pic of one of them licking the salt & mineral blocks (have one of each at all three sites). They usually breeze right by them. I'm getting pics of them because I placed the cams on what I suspected to be their travel routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I have not been getting many pics of the buck I am chasing. I did notice one thing... When I got my last few pics of him, he was crossing the creek and cutting through the trees to avoid the camera I had set. So I hung another one to catch him before he avoided the main camera. He is getting smarter by the day. I am pulling all but one cam the week before hunting season starts. I know where he beds and where the routes he travels in and out on. I have come to the conclusion that as long as he walks by when I am in the stand, that is all that matters most.

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't hardly believe they have avoided that trophy rock! I'm glad I got to see them, I have not hunted that old homestead in years. The first really big buck I ever killed with a bow was taken out of that old yard. I've taken several deer there over the years but I stopped hunting it when I got so much other ground to operate and hunt on.

Me thinks I'll go take my old stand down and check it out and place it over there in the middle of that spot, hehe.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They're just a little camera shy CM.

I mean think about it. They probably washed their hair that morning and just couldn't do anything with it!

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, yeah...well that's a shame because at least one was really really nice. The only decent look I got of them was from directly behind, they were all really nice but two of them were shooters for sure, like heart pounders. One of the two was a little narrow but tall and some junk and the other was really wide and heavy. The front two made it to the fence row before I got much of a look at them but they were nice too.

10. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Sounds like waaaayyyyy more than you can handle CM. I'll try and be a nice guy and sacrifice some of my time and come down there and help you control your deer "overpopulation" problem! Always remember and never forget....................

"elkguide - has bow............ will travel!"

11. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely correct! I had no good bucks on camera last year. Then three days after the season I caught an 8 pointer on camera. I'm sure he was probably around all year. Other years I've had great bucks on camera and never saw them on the hoof. You just never know. Get out in the woods and hunt!!!

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a easy fix Covey! I had same thing happen to me, I had my camera set in the fawn setting! Just switch it to "buck only" and your good to go!

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    WHat?! No...I had several pics of does too. I don't think my camera has any settings like.....waaiiit a minute, you're pulling my leg aren't ya? If you like pulling things, here...pull my finger. :lol:

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! they definitely use the greenery to their advantage. Everything is so thick right now. We checked some cams the other day and had some does and fawns and small bucks. one that looks like he may turn into something, but where are all the bigguns? so 15 yds from our camera we could see where what looks like a bachelor group ran through and the biggest set of prints was a good buck. So they're there just doin what they do best. eluding me.

Attached Files: