Pic Organization?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Josh/OH, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm sure this topic has been beaten like a rented mule, but who's using what? The laptop is on the fritz, so I'm stuck trying to organize a few hundred pics in/on my iPhone.. I can't seem to figure out how to put existing pics into separate folders, because I can't view them in a large enough format to verify what's on each one.
    Thoughts?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    So what you guys aren't saying is "Go get your laptop repaired!"? Lol

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally for stuff like that, I'd go get a cheap desktop and spend a little extra on a nice monitor/tv. Nothing you can do will fix the problems that come with viewing pics on a small screen and laptops are a PITA. I guess another option would be a tablet of some sort.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Concur with Covey....Also I keep all my photos off of internal harddrives...seriously memory being ate up. I have two external hardrives. One for transporting or taking into work or to pops or wherever and the other as the back up for that one. Keeps all the years of photos off a computer's harddrive.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like, like....like......like........like, like likelikelikelikelikelike...x1000:lol:

6. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We were currently in the market for a new desktop computer.. Let me just say I'm a bit of a tightwad when it comes to splurging, but my wife always talks some sense into me since we both work very very hard. (talked me into upgrading my 10 yr old bow last year)

We went with a new IMac. But the plain jane one. It was worth it. The Photo section, along with the iMovie program was worth it alone. My trail camera photos are organized by buck manually, and the computer puts them in order date/time.

Best non-hunting purchase I've ever made.... :rock:

7. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have all mine on my laptop but it has more storage then most desktops do. I would still suggest getting an external drive to keep them all on.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff, guys. But what I'd really like is a website or an app I can load onto (or access from) my iPhone, and use it to separate, organize and store pics. It's easily done on FB, but I prefer to keep my trail cam pics away from the eyes of some folks. I'm hoping somebody makes something that has tools and features specifically designed for trail cam photos.

9. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I have an entire layout all drawn up for a phone app that would do that and a ton more but don't have the $ to invest in creating it right now! I haven't really found any apps yet that seem to work that well but I know a few exist.

10. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Get on it, Ferg! You're out there in Chicagoland, aren't you? Tell JZ, Todd and Richie you'll cut 'em in... let 'em split 15% of the proceeds. If they laugh, toss in a free gut/drag job for each!

11. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    With Todd being the IT guy I have asked him several times when they are going to start app programming. Doesn't sound like anytimes soon. And for what I want to create would cost probably in excess of $20K

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    So basically you want folders and the ability for sub folders.....any "cloud" will work.

Or you can honestly do that on any computer. If you use like Google drive you can access it pretty much anywhere phone/laptop/desktop/tablet....however don't go loading thousands and thousands you'll bog it down rather quick. Sub folders by date or by specific sex or buck are simplest way I've discovered.

Now I do (haven't updated though in a year) have an excel sheet that logs EVERY big buck encounter on camera or in person.....weather, wind, location, direction of travel, date, etc.....

13. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly what I'm talking about!

14. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Ty, any chance you could email me that excel sheet? Would like to check it out. Was thinking of trying to create one for myself.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Will try and dig it up....like I said I have lapsed and haven't updated it with last year and half stuff. At home on harddrive.