What would you do with this Buck?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by remmett70, Aug 12, 2016.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While this buck definitely hasn't reached an age for its full potential. It is a buck that looks like it will never have a wide spread, is height enough for you? Would you pass on a buck like this to let it grow and become a breeder in your herd passing its antler genetics on or would you take this buck young to hopefully allow bucks with better antler shape and size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He looks fairly young. If you have other options I would pass him. He could still grow into a nice buck. Just needs a few more years.

3. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had one just like him 2014 that grew to 16" inside and grossed 136" last year when I shot him at age 4. It's not uncommon in the area I hunt for deer to add 30-35" from being a 3 year old to a 4 year old. Especially when we get an easy winter.
    I had one deer go from 50" maybe in 2014 to 125 last year and he is pushing 160 this year. No farm fields for 20+ miles just browse for him to eat.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What would I do with that buck?
    Rape...lots of rape.

Also clovers, chicory, definitely some mineral, probably some other brassicas besides rape too. :lol:

I'd let him walk but I ain't you and you ain't me so if'n he looks like a shooter to you then he's a shooter.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let him walk and see what he grows into.

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd pass and would be happy to see him pass on his genetics.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd let him go if possible but if it comes down to an empty freezer, he may be worth it. It's up to you. He'll be your trophy so do what feels right if he walks by your stand. I ain't gonna judge ya.

8. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id put him in the freezer. Cant eat antlers.

9. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You'll never know unless you let them grow

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sure you can, Chinese been doing it for years and it must work from the looks of their population, lol.

11. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let him walk

12. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My momma always said Chinese food is like a box of chocolates.... lol

I can't afford to let him walk. I own 23 acres. My neighbors have at least 3 stands really close to my property line. So a buck with a rack is getting an arrow though it. I have tried talking to a couple of the other land owners to let's try and grow the deer with little success.

I don't have the luxury to sit there and watch 4 or 5 bucks walk.

Heck, wouldn't even do me good to name one... lol

13. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your neighbors can't afford to let him walk, their neighbor has 23 acres and a buck with a rack is going to get an arrow. Doesn't pay to even name deer.

See how that works?

14. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am more than willing to try and let deer grow. I am the one who suggested it. But what's the point when I let it walk and my neighbor shoots it?
    I get what you are saying, but deer management only works if you have the land mass to support it, or if all parties with surrounding small tracks participate.

15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He still looks pretty young but if it would make you happy, take it if you get the chance.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want to get preachy but I can't help it so I'm going to climb up on my soap box for a second. I'll preface this first by saying you know your land better than anyone else and it's yours so do what you want to with it, now that said:

Inspiration has to start somewhere. I have the same problem here at home but I haven't started shooting young bucks, I still manage and hunt the same as I would anywhere for big bucks. The difference is I'm managing for big bucks, not filling a tag...I don't care if I don't fill tags. For anyone that aspires to grow and kill big bucks, the first step is they have to accept the fact that more often than not, tags won't be filled. That holds true in KS as much as it does in any other state. That's the biggest hurdle in getting land owners together on management, no one wants to be okay with eating tag soup and they can just blame lack of management on the neighbors.
    We can't control our neighbors, we can control our own decisions. As long as our own actions fail to inspire others then we're just as responsible for the failings because it creates a circular problem where everyone is cycling the exact same causation. Neighbors change and people's goals, character and attitudes change all the time, sometimes it just takes some persistence and a catalyst at the right time and place.

17. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great way to put it! There is more to hunting then filling a tag.
    I only hunt public land and I pass bucks that are younger than 4 year olds. Everyone has the right to come shoot the deer I pass. Hell I would say they have a higher chance of getting shot then private land deer. But the 125" 11pt I passed last year made it and I bet he will score close to 160 this year. I have several bucks on camera that I have had on camera going back to 2012.
    If you stick an arrow in a deer you have no idea how big they could be next year. If you want to fill the freezer that's your right. If you want the challenge of shooting an older bigger buck you have to be in the woods which means you need a tag in your pocket.

18. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    My question really wasn't about meat in the freezer, it was about what you would do in trying manage your herd and with that the antlers of the bucks in your herd. If we let this buck grow old the odds of future bucks having the same narrow spread increases where if I shoot it so does will be bred by bucks with different antler characteristics like a wider spread.

19. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    You can't manipulate the genetics in free range deer, all you can do is allow them to reach their potential.

If you think you can, research how buck fawns disperse.

20. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    You certainly can manipulate the genetics. If I shoot that buck, it will not breed and won't pass on its genetics. It won't be something you see change overnight, but over time you will definitely impact the herd.