How often to pull cards?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by sethf11, May 27, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How often do you guys pull your cards? I feel like it's Christmas waiting to go pull some cards. What is the timeframe you guys leave them alone for? I have 8gb cards so letting them sit is no problem.

Just curious what most people do.

Thanks. I'm new to the trail camera world.

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I pull mine once every 2 weeks.

3. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run 8 different cameras on 3 different properties. Some are close to where i live 1 property is about an hr away. My local cameras i try and check them every 2 or 3 wks. The one at camp is every 3 to 4 wks. I think it also depends on the land you hunt. By that i mean is it new property to you or have you hunted there for awhile. My properties are ones i have hunted for yrs so i generally put my cameras is the same spots and i am just seeing what bucks are still there or if anything new moved in. If its new property to you it might require more visits to see if the deer are in that spot or if you need to move the camera. Just remember trail cameras are a useful tool but they only take a picture of a very small area. Make sure to look around for other signs of deer not just whats on camera. welcome to your next addiction lol.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Roughly every 3-4 weeks for me this time of the year. More often during season because most cameras are by stands.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on where they are. For one that is close to a bedding area I run a cell cam and only swap out batteries and clear card once every six months. During the summer I check them once month when I refill feeders and mineral spots. My cams in Virginia I check once a month. During season I check the cards almost weekly unless they are in areas I don't want to contaminate.

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree it depends on where they are

I have 3 in my yard I pull cards every day or two

Summer months because I set the cameras low I cant go more than 2 weeks because weeds will grow up in front of the camera Most of these are mineral on field edges so no intrusion

My creek crossings and logs I try to wait 3 weeks if theyre deep in the woods

Then again I run cameras different than most I guess I would rather get an awesome pic than one that would help me kill a buck :lol:

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whenever I get to the hunting land. It has been normal for 20years for an ATV, tractor or some vehicle to be moving around the land collecting firewood or something so checking cameras really isn't an activity out of the ordinary to the animals. I just remember to spray myself down and spray the camera after changing cards.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere between daily and monthly, depending on where they are and the time of year. :tu:

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, You are the Trailcam Goo Roo!

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every three weeks for me. But then again I too run cams for quality and unique pics. During the season I will switch the cams to my stand sites and check them when I hunt that particular stand.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

11. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once a week usually. I too cannot wait much longer than that! It gives me something to look forward to!

12. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This time of year, I don't pull them very often. I've got a 30-45 minute drive depending on the location. I'm going to pull cards tomorrow on 3 cams that have been out since the first of the month, and put out 3 more mineral sites, and 3-6 new cams. I'll probably pull cards again July 4.

13. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If i'm scouting a new area I check them every week or two and move them until I start getting pics of bucks. Places I already know I check once a month, just trying to get inventory then.