Go to Security Trail Cam?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by greatwhitehunter3, Mar 18, 2015.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's your go to trail cam for security purposes?

Almost all trail cams that I have used will work enough for a security cam during the day. What camera are you guys happy with as far as nighttime pictures? My grandparents were talking about this the other day and I want to get them something. I'm not sure how much they will be using it. I'm guessing only when they are gone from home overnight.

I will be running it so ease of use wont be an issue. Cellular one would be nice but not in this scenario.

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would use a Covert Black 60 or MP8 Black. I have one (Black 60) I am using for security on a property I hunt.

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would get some real video cameras for a couple hundred bucks. Most now will send a text when they sense movement, and start recording to the web for you to watch whenever you want. They're "do it yourself" and no monthly fee.

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a buddy that got regular security cams for couple hundred bucks that feed into a computer. They record and work pretty well at night. Wanna say he set them up all himself and it just comes with a program. Think it came with four or five that he's got all around his shop/house. Pretty sure got then at Best Buy.

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can afford one and you are serious about security, Reconyx HC 600...hands down. I have been using one for security for 3 yrs now and have only needed to change batteries once a year. It's 15 ft up a tree angled slightly down and the small things these pick up at a distance is amazing. My neighbour has one as well....good thing. Thanks to his Reconyx, a pair of thieving crackheads spent 18 mos in jail.

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an MP6 black on my driveway. The daytime pics are great but the night time pics are so, so. You can tell if a vehicle is in your driveway but the flash is too bright to read the plates because of their reflective nature. It's still better than nothing. I believe that Covert has a cam just for this purpose.

BTW, most of my suspicious pics happen in the day time. Too dark at night to see what they're looking for, It seems that they like to scout things out in the day light. They can say they're lost if caught.