Anyone Get A New Trail Camera Recently?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by NantucketShedHunter, Feb 20, 2015.

1. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't seem to be any interest in trail cameras on this site. Anyone use them here? Anyone get a new one recently and would like to share their experience?

2. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just got a Browning Strike Force Sub Micro in today. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's interest here, but I think a lot of folks are burnt out at this point. lol I bought 2 Covert Red 40s after the season. I set one up again last Sat, I'll check it this weekend. I'm still experimenting with it. I like the pics I've gotten so far, but I had a bunch of day pics with no critters in them, just the woods. But, it was windy and the sun kept coming in and out, through the trees on that day. I'm thinking those changes were picked up by the cam? I was more careful of how I positioned it this time, so I'm looking forward to checking it.

4. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like to toy with trail cameras.

Its tough this time of year and will really test you depending on the critter your after.

You will find most here just use them for deer and will post pics but there isnt much on the discussion end of things.

5. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

lol

No affiliation with the company, but Covert will have a camera that will fit your needs. Have used quite a few of them in recent years and they have treated me well.... If there is a problem, they stand by their product for sure.

Im heading out tomorrow and try and break through the ice and pull the cards out now... Im not sure how its gonna go but im gonna try cause im tired of sitting in the house. This time of the year is my favorite for cameras.

6. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just pulled all my cams out of the woods for a few months. A Covert Extreme Red 40 did just show up on my doorstep though. Maybe I'll test it in the backyard...

7. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second the browning strike force. I used it all season long. Though more than 90 percent of the pictures where raccoons it worked flawlessly. The only thing negative i would have to say about it is that when you have it on video mode it drains the batteries much faster but thats expected on all trail cameras. For 117 i payed for it, it was a great investment

8. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a lot of trail camera action on this site, it has just seemed to slow down throughout the last few months. Last year, becoming a member in early 2014, it seemed like this part of the forum was most popular May-October; people showing off their growing bucks May-August and hitlisters more towards August-Oct. I recently got a Covert Illuminator. 1 more week until I check all 8 that have been soaking for a month

9. Art

Art Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For a new trail camera purchase it looks to be an interesting year with Bushnell, Browning and Stealthcam looking about the best choices to try out from the specs that I've seen so far. Imo
    Would be nice to get hands on review from an actual user for sure, mind you things like battery life and camera life have a lot of variables to them and is hard to get an accurate assessment without actually trying them out for oneself.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find the trail camera market to be boring from a technology perspective. Just when I think I find a good one they change them the following year and it doesn't always seems to be for the best. I have had lemons with every brand. Starting to think Reconyx is truly the way to go, just wish it didn't come at a huge premium.

11. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Please post any pictures if you guys have any.

12. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Bushnell has now started using ALL leds on night videos which was well needed. The Browning BTC-8FHD looks to be a good cam but only time will tell. I'm hoping Stealth has changed their video format to where it doesn't use such a large amount of card space. My G42's would use around 50 mb's for a 15 second video!

13. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just wait until the spring when people start getting thunder chickens and fawns. Its a slow time of the year with shedding bucks and not wanting to go into the cold to check them.

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I recently got a new CoverRed40. I run my trailcams 365/24/7. I post pics when I have something cool to see. Once the bucks drop their antlers and start to re-grow them, you will see plenty of pics here.

15. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My cameras are still out on the woods.. It will be interesting pictures with all the snow we got... I just purchase a simmons battery life is terrible week max... I still have a couple of wilgame cameras with flash that has been good cameras.

16. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just did today. I got one of the two that I picked up out just after dark tonight. I picked up a pair of stealth cam p12's. It'll be interesting to find out what kind of photos I'll get in a few days. Tomorrow is going to be cold... so I hope I didn't make a mistake by getting one of them out immediately. I got it set on a spot where there was a few sets of tracks leading out of some cover leading to a winter food source. It's probably a little early but I'm going to go back and check them on Monday, then I'll leave it alone for a week or longer and see what I get after that. Any thoughts as to how to make sure I have the best chances at getting some good off season pics?

17. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is odd to me since you are posting in the trail camera section. There is a bowhunting talk section also, but don't let that fool you...we don't like bows either :evilgrin:

18. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    So after about 40 hours, I went back out to check and move the cam to a better spot (since it's no longer -10) and I was pleasantly surprised by a skulking deer on camera. So what do you think, mature doe or yearling buck who had dropped his spikes? It looks to me like t it has a rather large body. However I'm new to the trail cams and this is literally my first deer on camera. [​IMG]

19. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    I've since moved the one to s better spot and put out a second one at the edge of a field on what I can only assume is a feeding trail. If I get anything of interest, I'll post them next week when I go to change the memory cards.

20. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Not the most activity, but here is what I got between Monday and today on my cams uploadfromtaptalk1425247604191.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425247633994.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425247657579.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425247675173.jpg There were a few more entrance and exit photos of each. Kind of disappointing for a weeks worth of waiting, but one of them is a buck that had shed already. I found nothing in terms of sheds again today, but my wife found a skeleton of a medium sized doe while we were walking today. And we spotted some turkey tracks and I think I found the roost as well!