Had a not so good surprise today

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by BigDaddy, Jan 11, 2015.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went to check my cams today, and got a surprise. I have 3 Coverts set up over some corn doing inventory on the deer that made it thru the season. I had a Red 40 set up on one side, and on the other side facing the Red 40, I had a brand new MP6 Black set up. Both cams were on the Stick n Pick minis. I walked into the field, and went over to check the MP6 Black, and the Stick n Pick was there, but the camera was gone!!!! Looked around to make sure all my other cams were there, and they were. There was about 6" of new snow on the ground, so I started kicking around in the snow to see if it just fell off, took me a while, but I finally found it. The bottom part where you screw it to the Stick n Pick, was broke off, and the broke part was still on the Stick n Pick. Anyone ever have this break on your Coverts before? The funny part is, you can see in the pics on the Red 40 that the cam MP6 was there for the first couple of days, but after that it just disappears, no pictures of anything hitting it or anything. I should add that when I opened it up to pull the card, I found out that I had forgot to turn it on!!!! Here is a pic of the cam.
    [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    Just went thru my pics. I put the cams out on January 3rd in the afternoon. I got a pic off my Red 40 at 5:53 AM on the 4th, and the cam was still there. Next pic at 5:55 AM on the 4th, the cam was gone. So it fell off sometime in that 2 minute period. The cam is way over on the right of the pic. Just above the deers back in the second pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    haha yupe, same exact thing with my MP6 this summer

[​IMG]

4. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any idea what caused it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only possible reason I can think of would be a deer (or whatever) bumping it and knocking it off? But, that wouldn't explain the fact that the cams are not in the IMEDIATE area. Very strange.

6. early in

Dislikes Received:
    That is such an ugly feeling, especially when you've looked forward to checking it for a week or maybe two! I've done that a few times over the years. I'm like a kid at Christmas when it comes to checking cams. lol

7. Majorpayne

Majorpayne Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had 2 on the same Sticnpic get knocked off during rut. I epoxied the nuts back on and they have held up so far.

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can fix that with little JB Weld Putty. Just mix it up and stick your piece back on put a little more JB weld on the out side but be careful not to get any in the screw hole. (if you do a good tap and die will fix that) It will be stronger than before.

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All my bases are cracked/split on my Coverts. And its not like I put a whammy on them when I tighten them... Just a weak spot. I thought in fact they had received enough complaints about the issue that they had changes the housing? No???

10. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, there's a recall on them. Just send them the broken cam and they'll mail you a new one. lol

11. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never had one break but I been super careful. I have some epoxied and that really helps. What else helped is the 2014 models have a way better tripod mount and no more worries..

Here is a picture of a mp6black I got over water, notice the zip tie in case it wanted to go for a swim :) IMG_20140720_140516918.jpg

also when putting the stic n pics screw together put the white washers like this. Jesse at stic n pic showed me this when I met him.
    0729172913.jpg

12. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Big daddy- My guess is a deer messed with it. I seen a few videos of bucks rubbing up againest camearas. I had deer sniff my cams on stic n pics but never busted them off.

I was always worried about a bird landing on my cams in the pond.

But keep us updated on the camera.

13. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously??

14. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Drop the customer service a message through the website and see what they say. Worst they can say is no.

There is no recall on them.

15. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had what I think was a crow land on my Little Acorn. The camera was on a swivel mount. The camera was tilted towards the ground at a 180 degree angle from it's original position. Right before it stopped taking pictures there were crows on the ground in front of it.

16. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I not exactly sure what happened to mine, but I suspect that a deer ran into it. I remember checking the card and they were there less than a minute before. I'm not going to try and take advantage of that little piece of customer service. I just put a different Covert on the Sticnpic and put the "broken" one on a tree and be done with it

17. TRBrew

TRBrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bigfoot??

I'm sure that is what the crew of "Not" Finding Bigfoot would say!

j/king

Oly

18. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They would not fix mind. I just used a nut with JB Weld and its on now better than it was. That was a weak spot on 2012-2013 models but they beefed them up for 2014.

19. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever watched "Monsters in America"? Talk about a joke! They run wide open in the dark with loaded weapons. Of course they never catch the elusive monster.

20. TRBrew

TRBrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are talking about "Mountain Monsters", but yeah I do and I'm surprised that they have not shot another team member. One episode you could see the rope they used to haul a deer up into a loft and that the "monster" dropped so it could make its getaway out the back of the shed...

Oly