Wildgame Innovations X6C mysterious problem

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by HunterDan67, Dec 30, 2014.

1. HunterDan67

HunterDan67 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OK so I've had over a half-dozen X6C trail cameras in the past few years. I love them. This particular one I purchased brand new on eBay a couple months ago. I put it out last month for a couple weeks and like all my other X6C cams it took great day and night pics with a fast trigger speed and good battery life.

I put it out again two weeks ago - in front of a home-made PVC feeder filled with 10 lbs of corn. I put 8 brand new lithium batteries and a 4 GB memory card in it. I checked it before I left to make sure it was triggering. It was.

This morning I checked it. When I got to the site I noticed the feeder was empty. No corn on the ground underneath it. When I opened the cam, it had FOUR pics on it. Three of the pics were me when I put it out. One was a night-time pic of nothing. The batteries had 80-90% life left on 'em.

I know that I pushed the SD card all the way in when I put the cam out because there were four pics on the card. None on the camera's internal memory. The camera was only about 10 yards from the feeder.

So how does something eat 10 lbs of corn over the course of two weeks ten yards in front of a new X6C with a clean SD card and brand new lithium batteries without the camera getting any pics?!?!?

There was not much snow on the ground when I put the camera out and none when I checked it today due to the unseasonably warm conditions we've experienced over the past two weeks here in south-central New Hampshire. We also had a great acorn crop this fall and there's still acorns on the ground so I'm assuming that the deer weren't hitting the feeder that much due to the abundance of natural food. But something ate all the corn.

The camera was aimed low enough so that it should've picked up smaller animals like turkeys, squirrels, etc. as well as deer.

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions? I plan on setting the camera up for a couple days in front of our cat's litter box just to see if it'll work again or not. In the meantime - any suggestions are welcome.

2. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum.
    As far as your issue. I am not sure on anything WildGame innovation.
    You might want to check also over on chasingame.com as they have a WildGame innovation forum.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd check it out at home to see if I could make it trigger where I could easily check the card. It shouldn't have eaten that much juice out of fresh lithium batteries either. Try another card in it and double check the settings.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this assessment.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

5. HunterDan67

HunterDan67 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses guys. I did some more investigation. I took all four of my X6C cams and put set them up side by side in the living room today - trained on an area where our cats frequently lounge around, play, etc. After a fair amount of kitty movement in front of the cams, I checked them all. NONE of the cams had the same amount of pics on them! That right there is interesting. Three out of four of them saved the pics to the SD cards that were in them. The one that I hatrouble with recently in the woods did not. It saved them to the internal memory - even though there was an SD card in the slot. The funny thing is that after getting the pics off them and blowing a can of compressed air into the card slots on all of them, I checked them all again. Turning them on with no SD card in them and then turning them on again with an SD card in the slot. When turned on with no SD card, the displays on all of them registered 0 pics, with 31 pics remaining - essentially the limit for the cam's internal memory. And when I turned them on with a 2 GB SD card in the slot, they ALL registered 0 pics, with 2,500 some odd pics left to go - EVEN the one that wouldn't save pics to the card. So this one appears to "know' that it's got an SD card in it but still won't save pics to the card.