New Reconyx Cams

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Schultzy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone purchase one yet? Today I called Reconyx because my 6 year old RC60 Reconyx has some issues going on. It won't quit taking pics after it's triggered. Anyhow I had this same issue with my other RC60 cam last year that I've had for 7 years this year. Free of charge on the fix job even 6 years later. Yes these cams are crazy expensive (too high IMO) but customer service and reliability of these cams are outstanding!! So while on the phone I asked about the new Reconyx cam and when they were going on the market. He said in August they started selling them so I ordered one up. Mine will be here Friday. Pretty excited about it.

XR6 UltraFire High Output Covert IR | RECONYX, Inc.

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my Lord those are expensive! Glad to hear they are helping you out with your older cameras though. At those costs they should be able to afford to!!

3. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    How many cams have some of you bought in 7 years because they were junk? Most won't honestly answer this question.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am probably going to order a pair. All mine are still going strong and trouble free. Wish I could say the same about the other cams I bought.

5. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    I will go through a list of what I have to try to answer that:
    1. Moultrie - one of the firsts - $95 ish, maybe 10+ years ago, actually still works but takes 6 volt battery and only lasts up to two weeks.
    2. Moultrie IR60 I believe - $150 ish, maybe 8-9 years ago, still works and have it out in the woods today.
    3. Buckeye Cam - won the camera, $500+/- ish back then, about 8 years ago, never had a problem with it and is still out today.
    4. thru 6. Covert Red 40's - $100 each, a year and a half ago, had a problem with one latch and one with condensation inside, both replaced and in the woods today.
    7. & 8. - Covert Red 40's - $120 each, a little over a year now, no problems and in the woods today.

Don't get me wrong, Reconyx are GREAT cameras as most know. It's great that they are helping you out beyond their 2 year warranty. If they stuck to it and said they were sorry after 2 years then I'd be one unhappy camper. I could do a lot of what-if math but it wouldn't help solve anything, sometimes the cheaper cameras just fit the bill for a lot of people.

6. stem2sternum

stem2sternum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    they are nice. If I had silly money its all I would run, but I don't so I will stick to the ones I am able to catch on sale.

Hope to see lots of pictures from it thought

7. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Chuck I'm just curious is all. Its all good. I could name a few people who spend more then me in the end on junk cams.

8. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    No problem! Back in the day I used to think the Buckeye Cam was the mac-daddy and still have a lot of confidence in that camera. Heck I wanted 5 or 6 of them but after a while it was just nice to get a few others out there in different locations and momma was still happy at home!! :hail:

9. Hall77

Hall77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had two for about a week now and I love them they don't miss a thing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411780488.281084.jpg

10. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great night pic!! Great Buck too

11. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw some night pics and videos from the new XR6 and wasn't impressed at all for $600

12. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think I would go with the LED model as I've never been too impressed with IR pics from any camera.

Blessings........Pastorjim

13. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The night pictures are junk. I have seen very few cameras on the market today that actually take a well exposed non grainy night time IR photo.

This is a picture from an M-80 which for the price you could put 4 in the woods and cover more ground. I am not saying this camera is better then the Reconyx but I will take night time IR photos like this over anything else I have seen on the market right now.

PICT0014.jpg

14. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I guess they are addressing this issue and will have an update in a few months. Moultrie to me has the best IR pics. Reconyx has never had good IR pics. But I'll take a Reconyx that lasts 7 years.

15. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cant argue with 7 years of camera life! I have only had my Moultrie's (the oldest one) for 4 years now so I dont know how long it will end up lasting.

I havent found a better IR picture then the M-80's either.