Stealth Cam - G30 or G42NG

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by greatwhitehunter3, Aug 31, 2014.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, after some thinking, I am going to pick up either a g30 or a g42ng. Was initially thinking of trying the hype of a Covert but am leaning towards Stealth Cam. I know there are few comparison pictures on here but looking for night pictures and video comparisons. I can't imagine much difference between the two but I'm wondering how the no glo compares with the video and night time pictures.

Please post any examples if you have them so I can decide!

Also, ebay is the cheapest I can find. Any other recommendations on where to get one?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know but I admit I've been curious about these cams for a while now since I keep seeing people post pics from them and recommend them on here. I needed another camera anyway and had some points on Amazon so I just ordered one of the G42NG cams on amazon for $124, with points I got it at $80'ish so a nice discount. Getting ready to do a food plot and place a feeder on the three mile property here this week so I'll use it over there and see how she does.

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a g42. First one went back due to the buzzing noise it made when the night flash went off. It isnt a "no glo" camera, low glow is more like it as you can see it glow red from 10 feet away.

Video I heard it takes up a ton of space on the SD card so keep that in mind.

Battery life on this G42 dont impress me really for the amount of pictures it has taken this summer. I am on plain jane rayovacs, but still I run them in all my cams. Other thing I dont like is it white out's the subject up close. Ideally get a tree or something up close to bounce the flash off of and it seems to help.

But it is a good camera and takes great day time pictures.It has motion blur reduction. Glad to see Stealth (my first ever cam in 2006 was a stealth) finally making something decent rather then the last 7 years of junk.

TrailcamPro.com has done reviews on both of them. If you are going to do more video I would go with the g42 with a big SD card and lithium batteries.

Ebay is where I got mine too. A1 Bargains. Not sure who has them the cheapest now.

Here are a few saved pictures I have off the g42 and a MP8BLACK picture in the same spot as the G42 on a stic N pic for comparison. Coverts have the 4:3 ratio vs the wider 16:9 like the Stealth (moultries too) have.

IMAG0112.jpg STC_0015.jpg STC_0028.jpg STC_0050.jpg STC_0066.jpg STC_0125.jpg

4. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

My plan is to put this in my food plot up higher in the tree facing down. By doing this, hopefully I would be high enough to eliminate the white outs, seeing the red glow and having a backdrop that will have the pictures turn out better.

Jake - I was looking yesterday and A1 still has the camera the cheapest. How was working with their customer service?

5. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dealt with Stealth directly but I heard A1 is great to work with. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from A1bargains again. I seen they even had some Antler King stuff for a little while and prices were great and wonder how he could sell for $15 and free shipping on a 25# mineral block.

But keep us updated on what you end up getting. My neighbor just picked up a g30 but I havent seen him lately.

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered mine last evening along with two five packs of sandisk 8gb ultra sd cards. I'm getting too many cams to keep up with clearing cards, lol. I've been wanting one of these G42's all summer.

7. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    What batteries you using covey?

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I know Lithium batts would last longer and probably perform better but I have been getting by pretty well with plain alkaline batts. This is what I always order, looks like they changed the packaging since the last ones I bought but don't guess anything else changed. They used to be in red and black.
    Amazon.com: Duracell Procell AA 144 Batteries PC1500: Health & Personal Care

Well, after posting about this I thought I may as well order some more batteries too as I think I'm down to one 24ct box so I ordered the regular alkalines and thought I'd look to see if the Lithiums were available in bulk. I found a 100 pack of lithiums
    http://www.amazon.com/AA-Energizer-L91-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B002C8D2LM/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1

A lot higher priced but if they last a lot longer then it would be about the same difference and a lot less trash to throw away so I ordered both. I'll set some cams up with regular batts and some with the lithiums and see what the actual difference is. If my math is right, the lithiums need to last 5.6 times longer to be as cost efficient as the normal alkaline batts. Data says up to nine times longer so...if that's the case then overall it should be 2-3 times cheaper in the long run.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  9. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bunch of the G30 models and have had no issues with them. Battery life seems great even when taking videos as well as stills. I will be putting out a G42 shortly just to see first hand what the diffence is. The G30 models are by far there best bang for the buck on the market currently IMO.

10. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys feel there is a need for low or no glow cameras? Reason the 42 jumped out was I could use for security during slug season too to hang high in tree facing a field road of ours.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I've really not seen much evidence that the blacks flashes have any advantage to them outside of security. I still have deer look right at the BF same as the low glow Moultries. My thought was that I have not paid any more for the BF's so I'd try them out but their range is generally shorter according to the stats, in person...I can't tell a hell of a lot of difference. My best cameras overall are still the 2013 M-880's from Moultrie as far as pic quality and a well rounded camera. Why I even bother buying anything else is kinda a mystery except I like trying new stuff. That and Moultrie really effed up the M-880's in 2014...someone in that company needs a kick in the sack.

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    With a $15 difference between 30 and 42, what would you personally do?

13. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have two G30 cams and I love them! If you PM your email I can send a bunch of pics to you?

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Well that's easy, I already did it when I ordered the 42NG :lol:

I'm interested in the NG feature. The LED's aren't blacked out from what I can tell, I'm wondering if it's a clever marketing ploy. Either way, I expect they are pretty good cams.

15. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The G42 throws out a lot of light for a low glow cam. Some claim to be able to see the glow at 10 feet but my old eyes can only see it around 3 feet. If you place them about 6 feet high and angle them down they will not be noticed. Also the video files are huge!! A 15 second video is around 50 MB's of card space! You probably will like either one of the cams but IMO I'd go with the G42. A1 Bargains also offers a two year warranty.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    How large is a single night time still pic? My moultries generally are like 2mb but the coverts are always more like under 1.

17. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just checked one set at 10 MP and the file was 1.99mb

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks! That's pretty good considering my moultries are only 8mp.

19. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    STC_0001.jpg STC_0002.jpg STC_0037.jpg STC_0018.jpg STC_0162.jpg STC_0191.jpg

I have a G30 and one of the factors as to why I purchased this camera was due to the battery life. I called Stealth Cam and asked them what settings they used to claim 1 year battery life. I was thinking they were going to tell me 2MP, 60 second delay, 1 picture but to my surprise they said to put the camera on Quick Setting 1 and thats what will get 1 year of battery life. Quick Setting 1 is 8MP picture, 3 picture burst, 30 second delay. Ive had the camera out since the end of May and its still at 100%. Ive been using Duracel batteries. Also, the pictures have been turning out great! I've even captured a bird flying across the camera (alittle fuzzy because he was cruzing!!) Good luck with your decision but I am beyond impressed with the camera!!

20. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Picture 1 and 2 is of the bird flying. Look in the top left of the pictures!!