Covert MP8 Photos Please!

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by TAuth41, Aug 30, 2014.

1. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If anybody would mind sharing there MP8 photos that would be greatly appreciated!

2. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only have the one camera pull, and it seems to take amazing day photos but the night photos have been a little too bright. Covert central gully 049.jpg Covert central gully 011.jpg Covert central gully 039.jpg Covert central gully 041.jpg

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They take pretty decent day pics but the night pics leave a lot to be desired.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The IR pics seem to be a bit fuzzy.

Blessings........Pastorjim

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they are and both cams are set to 8mp. It's a problem with coverts in general that we've discussed here on the forum quite a bit. I don't know why Covert's IR pics are low quality while their day pics are so sharp but I wish they would do whatever is needed to fix it. I won't buy any more coverts cams unless they get the problem solved, most of my best pics of bucks are after dark just because of my camera locations, I'd like to have better night pics of them.

2013 M880 Moultri is more well rounded.
    MFDC0381.jpg

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    CoveyMaster I would be interested to see how the Covert would do in the Moultries location

The key to good quality night photos is to have a back drop for the IR's to reflect off from. The Covert is set up shooting into an open field. The Moultrie is set up with a great back drop (the corn)

I also think so of the "fuzziness" is caused by the taller weeds closer to the camera than the deer is. The camera is trying to focus on those and causing the rest to be "fuzzy"

I just hate to see the camera get a "bad rap" for a bad set up.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth. I personally am not a fan of any black and white night photos.

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good observation but I don't think it's anything more than just the nature of the Coverts. I've noticed for a long time they always seem to take grainy night time pics. The second MP8 Covert is in a location more like you describe tha nthe one on that little food plot and it's the same way. The 2013 M-880's do have a lot longer IR range than these coverts or even the 2014 M-880's so that may be the difference.
    Covert
    IMAG0264.jpg IMAG0119.jpg

Moultrie without a backdrop, they just don't seem to care what conditions you set them up under. They don't take quite as good quality daytime pics as the Coverts but they are still good and a lot better at night in comparison.
    MFDC0167.jpg

I don't wish to give a product a negative review, the Coverts seem to be good cams...it's just that their night time system needs some work for whatever reason. Everything else about the Coverts seem great and the night pic problem isn't all that bad. I can say with all honesty that the Coverts are the second best cams I've ever owned.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  8. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I would be curious as to the price of the M880 Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples

I know the MP8 retails for $149.99

Now a Red 40 you can set up anywhere and get plenty of light and that retails for $199.99

Which would be a better comparison ?

Here are a few night photos I have from a MP8 No complaints but I also know to set it up close angled down just a touch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the Red 40 ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen the M-880 in the $130 to 140 range. I use the M-880c which is white flash. They are the same price as the ir.

10. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use coverts and have no complaints. They are small, user friendly and covert has great customer service. Like someone already said, some of the blurry pictures could be contributed to the backdrop or lack there of.

11. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Love my Coverts! I have Red40s and MP6s.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    My appologies to the OP'er, I didn't intend for this to turn into a Moultrie vs Covert thread and it's still not my intent. Just that after the comment on the blurry night Covert pics the discussion has gone this way.

I bought my M-880's last year in sets of ten and one set of four so got a bit of a volume discount. I believe they were regular priced $139 and I got mine at like $134 or $132 each. But I couldn't swear to those prices just best I recall.

I think they are pretty comparable, both 8mp, about the same price range, etc...My coverts are the black no glow versions 2014 models.

I don't know, all the Coverts night pics look about the same to me, grainy...some blurr in some. The Moultries night pics all look smoother and crisper to me no matter what the setup. I don't care to have to baby a camera to get it pointed and set just so so to get it to perform it's best to get it to compete with another. To me if I take some cameras out and throw them into place and look at the average quality and one has consistently better quality pics without being babied then it's the more well rounded and better product.

Okay here's a comparison, the first one is from the covert black mp8 on a post on my corner food plot. The second one is from a moultrie M880 on the exact same post in the same spot earlier in the summer. When I got the coverts I swapped the Moultrie for one of the new Coverts. So comparing apples to apples, both cams in the same spot, both cams similar in price, features.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got the mp8 in a no backdrop spot and I cant complain.

IMAG0077.jpg IMAG0179.jpg

14. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered a third covert today! Love the battery life. 8-3-2014 #3 Hitlist HBD.jpg 8-4-2014 #1 Hitlist Midridge Meadow.jpg 11-19-2013 Cemetary Ridge.jpg Sept 15 2013 Sawmill Spring.jpg

15. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have used Coverts before and still have a couple. I recently picked up some Stealth Cam G30 cam's and am really impressed with those. I just wanted to see what the new MP8 photos looked. Covert's customer service is worth so much to me its hard not to buy them