Professor says 3 years old

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 23, 2014.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some may recall a while back I posted a few pics of a pretty 6x5 buck (un-named) and there was some discussion on age and I was undecided due to what I felt were some mixed characteristics. I sent some pics of him to Dr. Woods via email and asked for an opinion to help determine an age.

The deer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And his partner in corn feedery.
    [​IMG]

Dr. Woods reply was that his opinion is that both bucks are three years old and the reason I was seeing some confusing traits was simply because they are so well filled out on corn (pictured in the background). In the previous discussion here on the forum, I believe that was where we all felt they likely fell in age structure. I still feel like the 6x5 may be a year older but the neck simply looks way to young where it is in relation to the brisket.

Anyway...thought it was interesting.

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously; the deer expert's name is Dr. Woods. That's hilarious. That is definitely a nice buck.

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dr. Grant woods is a super knowledgable wildlife biologist in my opinion.
    Pretty cool he helped you out with the age.

4. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bucks!

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great bucks whatever the age.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I met with him here in February to look over the properties and help us take management to the next level. Said to keep doing what we were doing and made some suggestions for plots and stand placements. He's into the soil health initiative too so we all hit it off pretty well. They taped the visit but since there wasn't much consultation actually needed there really wasn't a lot to talk about for the show. We got a small spot but more interesting cases took the majority of that episode. I don't like being filmed so I stayed out of the range of the camera and was happy to let my landlord do all the interview stuff. They still managed to catch a glimpse of me while in one of the Mules. :lol:

He is a super cool guy. I've followed him on TV for years so a lot of my management practices are based on a lot of knowledge I've gained from that. It was an honor to meet him and sort of surreal to find myself in serious conversation about game management with him. It was incredible.

7. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking bucks. I can see what you mean with the necks, outside of the big ol bellies everything says 3.5 YO with great genetics.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree except the head on the 6x5. His head has more of the shape of an older buck. I have a few picks of his head in profile right up in front of the camera and his head is what I would generally consider too blocky for a 3 year old and he is beginning to get a pronounced roman nose...just the beginnings of it but I can see it. Deer are like people though and sometimes some of that stuff means basically nothing. One of the most dependable traits for age for me has been the form of the neck and it held true this time if the professional opinion is also correct. The smaller one I have no doubt is three.
    At any rate...he gets a pass this year and probably next if he survives the neighbors and highway that long. The way he looks now...in a couple years...oh my.

9. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea he is a nice buck!