Covert Cam Pro Staff

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by bgusty, Jul 28, 2014.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've decided that I want to try a Covert for my next cam. Just wondering if there is any deals we can get on cameras if any of the pro staff on here do discounts/ coupons for forum members etc. Shoot me a PM if there is any such program. Otherwise, where are the best places to get a camera? Leaning towards the MP6 which runs about $99 on ebay.

2. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covert is worth the full price. IMO the MP6 is the best camera for the money. Check out eders, wingsupply and if you want a stic-n-pic, go to stic-n-pic's website and they will throw in a mini for $20 more, that's what I did.

3. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go to wingsupply.com Right now the 2014 MP8 are $114.99 and the 2013 MP6 are $98.00. Also use dhnet as a coupon code and it knocks off about $12.

4. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is the MP8 definitely worth the extra $15? I would think so with the black flash and the extra LEDs. Just want to make sure they haven't had too many bugs with the new cams or anything like that.

5. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have an MP8 but as for the MP6 they are very good quality. So if you add a couple megapixels and a newer model year then $15 is pretty good. I know someone just posted a thread in the trail camera section that has pics from a MP8.

6. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mp8 throws off more light then the mp6 among a few other upgrades(new latches,tripod mount is beefier and better seal)

But wingsupply has great prices no matter what model you choose.

7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion the mp8 is worth the extra money all day long with what Jake mentioned in the above post.

8. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like they have it covered, I will throw out...I'd either spend a little extra and get a Mp8 black...or a couple MPE5s.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought two MP8's last week and have been pretty happy with them so far. Right now, I think I still prefer my Moultrie M-880's by a small degree. The black flash is nice though and the daytime pics are a bit more crisp over the M-880's, M-880's have pic quality beat at night though and never motion blur. Of course the Coverts were cheaper too.

I feel Covert wastes some cost of the on board color screen, it's really too small to be of much use to review the pics. If they would get the cost down to $89-$99 dollars without the screen, they would be a better value. That or do something about the grainy night time pics and motion blur for the current price.

All in all, not a bad camera, I mean...comparing a covert mp8 and a Moultrie M-880 is comparing two of the best 8mp cams on the market either way you look at it.
    The new stealth cams look impressive for the price as well.

Here's a day and night pic from a covert black 8mp and a day and night from the M-880's
    IMAG0074.jpg IMAG0096.jpg MFDC0414.jpg MFDC0778.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. csb

csb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong at all with the MPE5. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but takes real nice pics.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    MP8 Black and MPE5 cameras are worth every penny! Like others said, checkout wingsupply.com.

12. WIarrowslinger

WIarrowslinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always had moultrie's but for my next one leaning toward covert. I have seen some of the pic quality and they looked good.
    A few questions about coverts. 1. How are night pictures compared to moultrie. 2. which covert would you recommend mp8 black or extreme black 60

Thanks in advance.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm running 2 MPE6's, a Red 40, Black 60, Illuminator and an Outlook. I think the MPE6's are a pretty good cameral for the price point, but from my understanding there were substantial upgrades and fixed made for the MPE8's, so if I were buying another cam, I'd try the MPE8's.

14. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up ordering the MP8 from wingsupply. The dhnet coupon worked, so thanks for that! I ordered it Wednesday at about 10 pm, had it to my house Saturday afternoon. Got it set up this morning. Thanks all for the assistance, and I am hoping it works out. On the other hand, BOTH of my bushnell trophy cams that are a couple years old aren't working. So we will get to see how good their customer service is. If they plan to charge me a ridiculous amount for the repairs I will just buy a few more coverts instead.