Trail Cam Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Double, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Double

Double Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, looking to get a couple cams up. Would appreciate any recommendations for cams that take quality pics, but are reasonably priced. Are there any decent ones on the market for less than $100?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    covert mp-e5

3. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    stealth cam G42

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^ check out wingsupply.com

6. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stealth G42 for Blackflash or their G30 for IR. Both can be bought for around $100 and are the best cams out for 2014.

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another MPE5 vote for this guy

9. buckwild_09

buckwild_09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Browning strike force.. a little bit past $100. Good range, great clarity, far night shots. stealth and covert are good brands too

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For just over $100 I think the Stealth Cam G30 is a very solid choice. It has a great flash range, incredible daytime picture quality, HD video with audio and great battery life. At that price point it's tough to beat.

11. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covert mpe5 all the way. go check out my trail cam thread i posted saturday. it takes some amazing pictures!

12. Double

Double Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input, fellas. Especially Whitetailfreak52. Think I am gonna pull the trigger on a couple of these Coverts. Are these ready to go as-is? I know I need to buy batteries & memory cards. Do I need to buy anything to mount these cameras, or is that included?

Thanks again, much appreciated...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  13. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a tree strap included with the camera or you can look into Stic N Pic for creative mounting options.

Here is a great deal for the 2013 mpe5 for $75 shipped and a top notch seller. DLC Covert

Or for other Covert deals keep a eye on Wingsupply.com here and there. They used to have "coupon codes" we all shared and saved even more $$, but I think they wised up to us online people :) and disabled the codes.

But keep us updated Double and dont hesitate to post up any questions/pictures/thoughts.

14. Double

Double Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jake, much appreciated. Now I am wavering between the Covert MP-e5 and the Stealth G30. I'm open to anyone who can put me over the top either way.

Thanks again for the help. I like to research things before I make a purchase, and feedback from knowledgeable people like yourselves is very helpful to me in distilling the info...

15. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I have 6 g-30's from Stealth Cam... Fantastic pics - and great battery life! At their price you can't go wrong!

16. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont own a g30, but I got a G42. Neighbor has a G30.

My thoughts is the g30/g42 wont beat the battery life on the mpe5 (I own 4 mpe5s). G30 will throw out more light then the 2013 mpe5 and the Stealth's have a 16:9 aspect ratio (wider view) vs the Coverts 4:3 ratio. Daytime pictures are great on both cameras.

The 2014 mpe5 now has a juiced up flash range, better tripod mount, bigger seal/back half of the camera case and narrower PIR sensor cover. Havent found any deals yet online for them 14's. Ebay has some 2014 Covert deals.

Basically it boils down to what you want to do with your trail camera. I personally recommend to first time cam'rs/friends the Mpe5. For 75$ shipped, basic settings (2 pictures every 30 seconds/3pictures at a minute/5 mins/10 second video), great on batteries you cant go wrong getting into the trail cam game on the cheap with the 75$ shipped 2013 MPE5. (they were once 50$ shipped and that company sold about 300 of them real quick :D )

If you want to mess more with video, have more setting options, then the Stealth will be better then the mpe5. But I think once you get one camera, you will be hooked and want more.

check here for some reviews too on both brands. TrailCamPro - Game and Trail Cameras - Shop Camera, Reviews, Guides

17. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the covert mp 6 cams,just can't beat them. Also I am hearing good things about the the g series stealth cams from guys that know cams. But if you buy any cam buy a black flash cam.
    Change the way you hunt not the game you hunt. Trademark....

18. Double

Double Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again for all the help I received on this. I pulled the trigger on 2 Stealth Cam G30s. I was swayed by a couple of threads showing pics from that camera, as well as user feedback. Found new ones on Ebay, $94 each shipped to my door. Should be arriving at my house by the end of the week. Can't wait to get them up & running. Thanks again for hand, much appreciated.

I think it will be fun to monitor what is going on out in the woods. I enjoyed the mystery of not knowing for the first two years I hunted. Now I am at the point where I feel using cameras will give me an understanding of the kinds of deer that inhibit the area and will make it far easier for me to wrap my mind around which types of deer I would shoot, and which ones I should pass on with an eye towards the future.

19. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Post up some pictures when you get them up and running.

20. dbl D

dbl D Newb

Dislikes Received: