Position of trail cams

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by WiscoBowHunter, Jul 9, 2014.

1. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had mine out sense early April here in Wisconsin and haven't been having a whole lot of "luck" so to say. I get about 20-30 in a week on both of my cameras. I have the stealth cam p18 and the primos ultra can 46 the stealth cam is over looking a old logging road with a good deer trail on it and the primos is on the edge of a corn field were a tree is about 10 yards of the tree line and I face the camera towards the tree line and average about 30-40 pics on that one. Where do you guys hang your cams I am just looking for ideas to move my trail can or just a diffrent style of mounting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a water source near by? I would try that. Also, I would look for dense cover that looks like a good bedding area.

3. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would have the corn field cam placed at the tree line looking out to the edge of the corn... deer will likely be walking this edge outside of the treeline between the trees and corn...

4. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like SharpEyeSam said..look for water..that is a really easy place to scout and see where they're crossing. Personally, I like using minerals to take inventory but scouting and finding the trail that the big buck takes from food/bed/water...that's really a rewarding feeling. Goodluck, you'll have fun in the process

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would also try creating a mineral site. That will produce pics year after year. Good luck!

Blessings.........Pastorjim

6. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The main water source is the rock river that runs along one side of the property and the word has standing water there is a large creeks that goes through the property ther are 3 ponds so there is a lot of water for 380 acre of property 240 acres of soybeans / corn with 4 food plots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Monster Raxx site + Trail cam = Lots of photos for your viewing pleasure:nana:

I have a couple on creek crossings too, just cause gutoneforme does it.

8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have one over looking a clover plot and another set up on a pile of corn in a grass alleyway in the middle of the woods.

9. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most of WI is off limits to baiting and that include's minerals. Makes it harder to catch a lot of pictures when you can't draw them to the camera.

10. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trails, edges, anything that shows sign. Are there any food sources that you can set up on?

You may be in an area where 20-30 per week is all your going to get. What times are they coming through? Maybe just reposition the camera a little might make a difference. Part of the fun is trying to figure out a good camera setup.

11. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question about this that I just thought of today. The Deer Baiting and Feeding regulations say that you cannot bait deer outside of an ongoing deer season for deer hunting purposes. I have always figured that since I live in a county that baiting is allowed, I could only bait from the start of archery season until the close of the season. Then there is this section

Feeding Wild Animals Is Allowed For Certain Species For Non-Hunting Purposes
    Feeding Deer:
    Amount: No person may place or allow the placement of more than 2 gallons of feed material at any feeding site.
    Placement: No person may place or allow the placement of:
    • feed in a county in which baiting and feeding of deer is prohibited.
    • more than 2 gallons of feed for each owner-occupied residence or business, regardless of property size.
    • a deer feeding site more than 50 yards from an owner occupied residence or business.
    • a deer feeding site within 100 yards from a roadway having a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour or more.
    • a deer feeding site without the approval of the owner of the owner-occupied residence or business.
    • feed at a deer feeding site that the person knows is being used by bear and elk. If the owner of the residence or business
    is notified by the department or otherwise becomes aware that bear or elk have been using a deer feeding site, the owner
    must discontinue feeding for a period of not less than 30 days.
    Content: No person may place any bait or feed material for deer that:
    • contains any animal part or animal by-product.
    • is contained in or deposited by a feeder that is designed to deposit or replenish feed automatically, mechanically, or by gravity.

So, by these rules, would feeding deer to get pictures on a trail camera be acceptable? Technically you aren't hunting them, you could argue that you are just trying to get good pictures, couldn't you?

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on your lawyer and how much money you're willing to spend...

13. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beans are about as good as it get right now.

Some spray attractant on the beans in front of the cam and you should get some pics.

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I usually do, I've got some one my best pictures with this setup.

Sent from my iPhone

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

^This is True^

16. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Trails/pinch points leading to beans or water. Even now I start putting out tinks mock scrape drippers to spark curiosity and draw them to the cam.

17. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats why I just plan ahead. Put my salt blocks and minerals out before the season closes and put the cameras on them in the spring. The Wisco regs dont say anything about having to remove a salt block from the woods when the season ends. Come spring time you have a site ready to rock and roll and you havent touched it since last season!

18. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd focus on the water closest to a bedding area. I have my MX80 next to a main creek and it filled the cam up in 2 weeks, a full 8 gig sd card. Lol. That always does the trick for me

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

19. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd focus on the water closest to a bedding area. I have my MX80 next to a main creek and it filled the cam up in 2 weeks, a full 8 gig sd card. Lol. That always does the trick for me

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt