What camera should I get

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Whitetail Fanatic, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Whitetail Fanatic

Whitetail Fanatic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello. I have done tons of research and I'm still not sure which camera to get. I have settled on a bushnell model. Long battery life with AA batteries and not too expensive but quality is important. So I know I will have to pay at least a hundred bucks..
    So what are u guys thought???

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on what your budget is... Are you willing to spend more than $100?

Most everyone here will steer you in the Covert direction... Simply because of their excellent customer service and they are an overall great camera. You can generally find great deals on some of the older versions that are simply too good to pass up.

3. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the stealth cam g42 black flash does a nice job around $120.00 2 yr. warranty a1 on ebay

4. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Moultrie cams and they are at a decent price on Amazon.

I havn't tried one of the newer Bushnell models but the one I have (I think its an 2009 model) takes decent pics, and has average battery life, it has had a few problems here and there but I got it working again. I remember back when I 1st got the cam it took pretty good pics.

The 2014 Stealth cams look good.

I have had numerus troubles with Covert cams and won't buy one for a long time.

Try to get somthing that runs on AA batteries, they are better quality and usually have more battery life.

I also have a Primos 35 and it has been good to me, I only got it for $75 too. The pics arn't the best but it has good battery life with the D batts it runs on. Look up the newer Primos Ultra cams I'm not sure what the price is on them.

Overall you arn't going to find a great cam for under $100 but if you raise you're limit another $20-30 you can get a pretty good camera. I love my Moultrie they are awesome.

For more info and reviews go to TrailCamPro - Game and Trail Cameras - Shop Camera, Reviews, Guides

5. Whitetail Fanatic

Whitetail Fanatic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I have not heard of the covert brand. I will most likely go with a more reputable company. Just due to being able to get more information. I do think that I will have to raise my budget if I want to get a decent camera. Thanks for all of your comments. I love getting on here and talking to people that share the same passion.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not to be THAT guy....but the bigger the company, the less valuable your business really is (drop in the bucket, dime a dozen effect). Covert has an extremely good reputation in the trail camera world and i promise you that you wont find better customer service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[video=youtube_share;8SpuS1cHfFw]http://youtu.be/8SpuS1cHfFw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;NVnQKkcUgIQ]http://youtu.be/NVnQKkcUgIQ[/video]

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend Covert, specifically the Covert Red 40. I would also feel comfortable recommending The Stealthcam G series cams.

Blessings........Pastorjim

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use only Moultrie and have never had any issues. I would steer you towards the M-880, in my opinion it is the best camera on the market between $100.00 & $150.00.

[​IMG]

9. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're on a budget, I would take a look at the Covert MPE5. Incredible camera and you can find them for under $100. Plus the customer service that Covert has is unbeatable, I had a problem with one of my MPE5s and I sent it back, within a week I had a brand new camera on my doorstep. As PJ said I've seen a lot of great reviews on the new Stealthcams and the pictures from them look great too.

Here are a few from my Covert MPE5s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Whitetail Fanatic

Whitetail Fanatic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! Ha. I must say. You guys make a great case for covert. Those pics look amazing.
    Ok. I will let y'all know what I decide to do

11. Whitetail Fanatic

Whitetail Fanatic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Features: 4 easy to use PRE SETS, 2 shots - Interval 30 seconds, 2 shots - Interval 1 minute, 3 shots - Interval 5 minute.
    What's this mean exactly? Which setting would y'all use.
    This is for the Covert mpe5.

12. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    monsterraxx on here has a decent deal on covert cameras and they come with a bag of monster raxx

13. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I keep mine on 2 shots/30 seconds. Perfect for licks/feeders/scrapes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What he said, I haven't really tried any other settings to be honest.

15. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have used Cuddeback, Moultrie, Primos, Wildgame Innovations and Covert trail cameras throughout the years. Without a doubt, Covert has the best customer service, unbeatable prices, the best pictures and videos, compact size and a user friendly set up. Following are a few pictures from my Black 60. I ordered a MP6 last week and got it in the woods a few days ago and cant wait to see the quality

Attached Files:

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest issue with Bushnell is I can't get them to last a year & a half or two years without going haywire. They just start spooling images no matter what settings you put in. Day pics were good and actually took nice clear night pics.

I have to say I've been super impressed with the G series from Stealth Cam. They've come out with two top notch cameras at great price points.

G30-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

G42NG-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  18. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Impressive specs on the Stealth Cam I must say. I may have to try the g30

19. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a recconyx hc600, several bushnell trophycams, and i just bought a covert red 40. I got rid of every other camera i had. I have used wildgame innovations (pics tend to "white out" during Dawn and dusk, and they aren't very tough. the door buckle broke on one from the batteries pushing down on it), moultrie (only one i ever bought was doa out of the package..wouldnt even turn on), and stealth cam( the last one i bought was a 2012 model, and when set to video it was very obvious that the camera made a noise that spooked deer, even though it was infared). I have not pulled any pics from the covert yet, but i will say that i bought it because i was impressed by the image quality i saw on this forum. I have had very good luck with my Bushnell trophy cams. They also take very crisp daylight pictures...and are waaay cheaper than a reconnyx. Imo a Bushnell trophy cam or a covert would be hard to go wrong with

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  20. TXhoghunter94

TXhoghunter94 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Covert special ops, Moultrie m990,or a Cuddeback attack ir. Those are the ones I like right now that do not have any trouble. I've tried almost all of them.