Tablet With SD capability.. Read Trail Cams In the field??!

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Loggyjens74, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

I am in the Market for a tablet. I am looking at spending 300-500$ on it to have it last for a couple years. Does anybody use a tablet to check trail cameras?? Looking for any insight possible.. What do you think?

2. wi p&y

wi p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i looked into this once and bought a cheap one that accepted sd cards but then i couldnt save the pics to the tablet. ive been told ipad is the way to go.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got one I haven't tried yet. That was my only worry but at least can still check them hopefully.

4. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    iPad mini. They are around $300 new. It will last forever

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do ipads have an sd card slot?

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, but there are adapters.

7. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the windows surface tablet has a usb outlet you could use a card reader on, not many apps in the windows app store yet but the surface is great for people who use word excel etc..

8. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Samsung Nexus 10 Android tablet. It does not have an SD slot, but you can buy a small USB adapter to plug in a card reader. Then you download and the ES File Explorer app from Google Play. Using that app you can view photos on the card in the field and transfer ones you want to the internal memory of the tablet. It works pretty well.

I believe that Asus makes a tablet with an SD slot. I haven't been tablet shopping in a year or so though.

9. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the 64 gb iPad with retina display and 3G service, and I use it to check cameras. I bought the $30 card adapter, and it works great. It's over your $500 range, but you could get the regular iPad, too. The retina display makes for some great pics though :tu:

10. 93firebird

93firebird Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Samsung galaxy is the way to go. They have an SD micro slot which will work with an adapter in your trail cam. 200 bucks for a 7" or around 350-400 for a 10"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

11. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Samsung galaxy is a phenomenal product for this type of use...they make all kinds of adapters for any device that will allow you to do what you want

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The thing I don't like about using my iPad to check pics is that it has to copy the photos off the SD card onto the device in order to view them at full size. In most cases I'm checking a bunch of cameras at the same time which can be thousands of images. Getting them on the iPad isn't such a problem, but deleting the ones I don't want is a total PITA.

Now I prefer to simply take my laptop with me and use that instead.

Although I've considered getting a Surface tablet and seeing how well that would work.

13. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, if there isn't an option for mass deletion I can understand how that would be frustrating and a total pain in the rump.

I use that same strategy now with the laptop. ( Sony Vaio 15in) Works very well but I was just going to look for something smaller and that would be easier to lug around on days you check cameras and hunt.

I'm guessing I would still use my laptop for my main archive, so I was just hoping that their was a Tablet that I could use to quick check a camera and view the pictures in the field, then transfer the images via USB thump-drive from the tablet to my lap-top later that evening.

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you're just wanting to get a new toy, a much cheaper solution is a digital picture frame. They sell for around $75-$80 bucks and most accept sd cards.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an ipad, which has its uses and I generally like very much.

However, for trail cam checking purposes, my Asus Transformer (Droid) is the way to go. It has full size and mini SD card slots, as well as wi fi and USB capability. I picked it up refurbished for $100 on TigerDirect, but I think brand new they were only 300. Add another $100 for the docking keyboard and you have a great little tool in the woods and trails.

I've had mine for 2 years now, and even tho I dropped it once on my wood floor and dented the heck out of the aluminum side*, it still works fine. Batter life is pretty good (3-5 days or so with moderate use while connected to wi fi in standalone form, add another 2 days with the docking keyboard which has internal batteries of its own.)

* forgot to add that someone (I think OtterBox) makes a very nice rubberized armor wrap for the Transformer; but it does cover the ports so I never bought one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  16. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dell tablets have an SD slot, or atleast the one my wife owns has but I'm not sure what model it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk