Anyone using a Cellular Trail Cam?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by PhotolabStudios, Apr 7, 2014.

1. PhotolabStudios

PhotolabStudios Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been looking into purchasing a trail cam for my property that is 4 hrs away. With gas prices and my job, i dont make it back as often as I would like to. So I thought if I could get the trail cam pics sent to my email, it would help me keep track of whats happening. Anyone one using these?

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yup I have a couple out "turkey scouting"

3. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i dont use one but there are certainly some here that do... Covert will have a 3g model released sometime here in the near future. they are certainly useful tools if getting to the camera often is an issue. i would love to have a couple to use during the early part of the season.

4. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I don't like the concept. I'm not saying that you would, but a "cheater" could potentially use this to his advantage by setting up multiple cameras in different locations to watch big bucks/turkeys and set up on them accordingly in a moments notice due to the pictures being sent to his phone/email almost instantly. In my opinion, I think they should recall these cameras and install a 24 hour delay to help eliminate potential problems and dishonest hunters. In your case, I think it would be a good idea and save you a lot of time and money.

I hope by this post I haven't put ideas into anyone's head - future readers and honest hunters; I will be happy to delete this post if you think there are some hunters out there that may put this information to use.

5. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
    I would say that over 50 % of the cellular cameras we sell are being used for security and not for deer or turkey hunting.

6. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a few Covert Special Ops Code Black out in remote locations and Love them !!!

7. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not saying they were, just noting a possibility and stating that there are other ways a camera of such capabilities could be utilized.

On a different note, please check your PM's

8. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
    I have no issue with someone using a camera that sends them a picture help them kill a buck or a turkey. As far as "honest" hunters. ... Your welcome to your opinion but I don't have to agree with it. In fact on Saturday if I get a pic sent to me from a Code Black of a big ole tom you better believe I will be headed that way. Judge away :D

9. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    I am being misunderstood. Maybe I didn't use the correct words but I'm not sure how else to put it. No harm done and sorry if I offended anyone, simply just my opinion. Furthermore, I was thinking more or less along the lines of bait piles, food plots or mineral sites. None the less, photolabstudios asked about this for hunting purposes, not security.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  10. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All i need is some fly paper that's good enough to hold a buck while I get ready to bag em.

11. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a huge cheater then.....HUGE....love my camerasa......and I still didn't get the buck I set up on based on the cameras intel....hmmmm

You should def look into it if you can't get to your cameras a lot....no point in having them if you can't utilize them for what they were made for.....scouting......i mean cheating....sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

12. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 1 and it's cool but it will be pricey if you run all year long as well as running multiple cell cams

13. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not having to enter a mature bucks area at all late summer to check pics or fall to hunt him until I have a text with him in daylight hours is ridiculously helpful. Especially when it is placed on my lease 5.5 hours away.

14. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! Especially when you are hunting a small farm with high pressure around it. Why pressure the deer checking cams once a week. I love my Code Black for that reason. If I could afford to run them on all our farms I would.

15. kyle6464

kyle6464 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How does it work you pay for each picture? If so how much

16. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea but my cameras take so many pictures I think it would be to expensive, useless or both. But I like the idea. I'm 4 hours from my lease as well.

17. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1000 texts for 10 bucks a month on a go phone plan.

18. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pay $10 a month, and now just renewed for $5 this month for only 200 pics (behind my house) in the off season. Yea it is a monthly expense....and it does take a lot of pics. But the money and time, let alone pressure, it could save someone from.....is worth it IMO. $10 a month for that feeling I get when my phone rings bc of a text from "deer cam", is worth it.....and its only April. Cant wait til rut.

19. Art Vandelay

Dislikes Received:
    Had a meeting of the minds with a trespasser the code black caught on camera this evening, priceless.:moose:

24 hour delay my rear end, instant or go home.

20. Art Vandelay

Dislikes Received:
    I had planned on taking the same approach with cutting back to the 5 dollar plan after the texts built up but the strutters aren't letting that happen lol. They've been a regular the past couple of weeks and some days it goes on all day.