My first card swap in in my new Covert Red 40 and Black 60

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by alley_cat, Mar 19, 2014.

1. alley_cat

alley_cat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I left the cams out 4 or 5 days and had hundreds of pics.

Only complaint I had was the Red 40 is getting a bunch of pics with nothing in them. Could be brush in the background on windy days, but I've never had it happen on any other Covert, Moultrie, Tasco, or Primos. It's pointing due north, I'll figure it out soon.........

..................and please excuse the construction mess on our back deck while I was having breakfast. Weather's been too bad to finish. :D

Attached Files:

2. alley_cat

Dislikes Received:
    More. I might take my MP6 from the driveway surveillance and move it to the woods and replace it with the little red flash Tasco.

All these pics are on our property.

Attached Files:

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice pics.

Blessings........Pastorjim

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice pics

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lower the sensitivity...

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, you should be able to adjust the sensitivity on that. I never do, just get bigger cards so I don't miss a thing. It could also be something just on the edge of the camera frame that trips it too. Of course tree branches and weeds are the usual culprits.

7. Buckeye1979

Buckeye1979 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice pics looks like those coverts do a nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. josh97

josh97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty neat.

9. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    cool pictures.

Some settings I ran on my red40= 8mp, low sensitivity, and 20ft flash. Them seemed to do the best for me. Even on half flash the red40 throws off alot of light.

Also I see you have the yellow info strip. Go here for firmware update info : Chasingame.com discussion forum ? View topic - Covert Firmware Release for 2013 Black 60's and Red 40's
    (basically that update fixes a no picture issue that some people reported, changes the info strip to black/white and adds a battery meter also the the info strip.)

10. alley_cat

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks big time for the info from Chasinggame, Jake, also ChuckC's info. I think I read that same post a few days ago but didn't go through with the procedure yet............... I definitely need to change the info strip to black/white and get the battery meter on there.

I have the sensitivity set to normal and the flash range set to 12m/40' option. Think I'll leave the sensitivity to normal but change the flash range to 6m/20' setting and maybe move the trophy rock a little closer.

Haven't had any problems with the Black 40 but have it on the same settings as the Red 40.

I recall doing a firmware update on a Moultrie once, I can figure it out, it isn't difficult.

Thanks again guys. Been getting a few hen turkey pics, no strutters yet, this one from the Black 40.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  11. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yep got to tweak the camera settings and placement to see what works the best for your set up.

Doing the covert update is a little different then the moultrie one (i have done both also). Pretty quick and easy though. Takes longer to re do your settings. I like that it adds the black/white info strip(if you have yellow) and battery meter.

Keep us updated on the settings and the firmware stuff. And keep the pictures coming :)

thanks

12. alley_cat

Dislikes Received:
    OK, Jake, I pulled my Red 40 and received the firmware from Rick on Chasinggame. Don't think it worked completely. I followed every instruction, copied the firmware to a formatted SD card, locked the card, and inserted it into the camera. I turned the camera onto the setup as instructed, the screen is supposed to flash whenever the firmware is installed. It never flashed, I gave it several minutes. Then I turned it off, inserted a new unlocked card, went to the SYS tab, clicked on Default Settings. BUT it did increase the size of the font on the info strip but didn't install a battery meter. I'm satisfied however, it's the Black 60 with the yellow info strip. Maybe this firmware will fix that.

Thanks for the info!

13. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    hmmmm. so it changed the yellow info strip to white but didnt add the battery meter?

I would try it again and use a different SD card. I formatted the clean SD card in my computer then added the update to it.

also you can somehow see how big/if firmware update file is on the SD card while the card is in your computer.

rick will also help you out as I just posted on CG too.

We will get it updated on way or another! :) I have no problem mailing you a SD card with the update on it if you cant get it on your own. Another forum member over the summer who isnt that great with computers sent me up a SD card to add the update to and I mailed it back down to him. You can PM me if you want to go further into details.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried going in and setting to default settings...then reprogramming everything?