ATT Sim Card / Service for Covert BLACK OPS

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by jvanhees, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ATT Sim Card / Service for Covert SPECIAL OPS Code Black

I recently purchased a Special Ops Code Black, and went to ATT today to get a prepaid Go Phone SIM card. On the back of my camera package, it says this ATT plan should be $10/month for 1000 messages.

I showed this to ATT, and they set me up. She charged me $10, and said it is a 1000 minute plan....but I could upgrade to 1000 texts for another $10/month.

Am I ok with what I have, or do I need the 1000 texts as well, totalling $20/month? I imagine I need the texts, but I haven't heard anyone say their coverts run at $20/month vs $10/month.

Pat?

This is from the review I read, but is a bit dated: "You will need a universal prepaid SIM card (free) from ATT or T-Mobile along with a good SD card (I would recommend 8 GB if you aren't going into the area for awhile). Make sure to buy the $0.10/min plan with the number of text messages you want. I bought the $10.00/month plan for 1000 text messages. $5.00 will get you 200 messages, and $20.00 will get you unlimited if you have it in front of a mineral lick or something like that. Make sure you call to place money in the account and tell them you want the same package you had last month to make sure camera retains the ability to send the pics. *****Please check a coverage map for the area you will be placing the camera. You may not receive signal where you place the cam. Where I placed the cam is 2 miles from the nearest "green area" on a map and I still receive a bar or two in a low OPEN area. I've noticed that if it is placed in a thick 'canopy thick' area, it will not transmit as well in low signal areas. I've also had it on higher hills and had it not connect due to the cover. Keep in mind, I'm still 2 miles from the 'green area,' where I should be receiving no signal. I've also had it 10 miles from the 'green area' and received zero to one bar, but it is not consistent and would not transmit pictures well, if at all (this was my preferred area to put it)."

Either way, pretty pumped to get this thing in action this weekend. :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's not right, you need a text only package. You don't need any minutes to run the camera. It should only cost you 10 bucks a month for 1000 texts. Check out the link for a step by step of what you need to do.

Code Black Support | Covert Scouting Cameras

3. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Art. From my understanding after I left the store, you cannot buy a prepaid sim card without buying minutes. I understand you do not use the minutes, only the text. Look at line item number four on the link you posted.

Note: The voice minutes are never used and do not affect the per month costs.

4. Art Vandelay

Dislikes Received:
    I went a different route when I bought the code black. I knew the jokers at the at&t store would try to sell something I wouldn't need so I bought a sim card off of ebay and set it up myself on at&t's website with the sim card in an old phone. You should not have to pay for minutes, I don't and everyone that I know that uses the code black don't either.

5. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. Pretty easy to setup online on your own? I may go this route if they are going to make me pay 10 more dollars for texts.

6. Art Vandelay

Dislikes Received:
    Not much to it at all.

7. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Im going to see, when I renew this one I have if I can just renew texts.

Anyone else mind sharing what they pay per month?

8. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pay $25/month for unlimited text only plan. I think the SIM card did cost me $10 to purchase.

9. Danno

Danno Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go phone sim card is free, $10.00 per month for 1000 texts.

10. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the guys have it covered ...

To purchase the correct SIM card and plan for your Code Black*

To have your Code Black send pictures to your cell phone or email address, you will need to get a standard size SIM card from any GSM network that provides a SIM card. The SIM card must be set up with the proper plan in order to work so follow the instructions below

If Purchasing from a GSM network store:

Ask for the “10¢ a minute” plan with texting only for your SIM card.
    There will be two options, $10 per month for 1,000 texts monthly or $20 per month for unlimited monthly texts.
    Make sure the store associate selects “auto-renewal” to the texting portion.
    Note: The voice minutes are never used and do not affect the per month costs.
    You will not be required to sign a contract for the pre paid plan. You will pre pay for the amount you wish and can stop at any time.
    For Pre-Existing GSM Network Customers

If you are a current user of a GSM network and have texting on your current plan, you can then add a line for $9.99 per month. This does require a contract.There is no data plan required

11. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks everyone! I think I have it figured out. I ended up buying 1000 minutes ($10,because I had to at the store) and added 1000 texts ($10).

What I plan to do, is renew the texts only.

BTW this camera is sweeeeet! :nana:

12. centralmnbowhunter

centralmnbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How big of a difference dose the antenna make? Should I get pick one up right away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A huge difference and yes pick one up

14. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its great but gets pricey the more you add on per month

15. Sukkurpunch

Sukkurpunch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know this post is old, but I bought a covert code black 12.0 used with no SIM card, went to ATT and purchases the 25$ unlimited talk text and installed on camera and it has the Att symbol, the bars for reception, my question is how do I get it to send me photos to my phone? When I try and register it on Covert app it want my credit card and info for billing ? Any help would be appreciated!!