how can i present the monster raxx better? or could it be location

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by donut757, Jun 15, 2013.

1. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The land i hunt is primarily pines. of the wooded timber i would say about 90% pines due to everything being logged over the years.

Now before i type this i will say we were runnign around the woods there after the last pull, we started getting stung by some bees or wasp or something (they were rather upset with us) and got off track while walking in. Still got some ok action with the deer after about a week but then the same thing as the last pull with what is written below.

By seeing the results Monster Raxx yielded i wanted to try it out and really want to try and find a reason the deer are going around it. Its been out for almost 2 months, there was a lot of rain in the past few weeks so i did put some more down to refresh it today. The raccoons have messed with it a little bit but the deer seems to go around it. Like the picture below, they choose that route, infront of the spot, or to the side.

[​IMG]

there is no farm immediately around, lots of swamp, and like i said lots of pines. I tried to use with whitetail magnet, but i diid get some results using the apple harvest this past pull.

Any help would be great.

I did try to put it out at a different sight (totally different piece of land, but also tons of pines) today, so we shall see how they like it there.

2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pines are gonna be rough, deer tend not to enjoy the dirt around pine trees because its acidic and would taste bitter. I know this because a property i have access to has a lot of pines. Well had a decent site goin until the weather got really nice an thawed out the ground completely.

[​IMG]

Once i was told thats why the site wasnt gettin hit nearly as hard an was over taken by coons i moved it. Shown here,

[​IMG]

Now its gettin hit pretty good, all deer no coons or anythin.

All you have to do is find a spot that is pretty green away from pines if ya can and start diggin. I dug pretty deep around this stump an turned the dirt over. Deer dont seem to mind it at all.

Hope This helps a bit if any.

3. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had any luck with sites close to pines because of the acidic soil. I would try and move it to a spot away from the pines or try on a stump, sometimes the deer do not like the soil.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe they don't like it? Never had a site by pines but maybe that's the problem.

5. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well i learned somthing new today lol

6. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Acidic soils themselves are not the problem. In fact, for some mineral tests, acidic soils do better. And acidic does not mean the soil is bitter. In fact, I believe Deer Cane at one time recommended acid soils as locations for their product.

It can be the soil, but generally linking it to the pines is likely an error. I have sites in pines that are hit hard.

7. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Deer co-Cain works well in a wide range of soil types; but, keep in mind that heavier clay type soils will hold the minerals for a longer period of time; whereas, the sandier soils tend to lose the minerals a little sooner. If you are in a sandy soil area, we recommend using our Deer co-Cain Time-Release Block to keep the minerals available for a longer period of time. When establishing your mineral site, also consider that acidic soil sites have proven to have heavier deer activity than alkaline soil sites".

8. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never said the soil was bitter, I said when we did tests the deer did not prefer it in acidic soil, so for you to say I am wrong without doing any testing with our product is just plain ignorant. You have said you don't want any comparisons and not to mention anything in any of the posts about your product and I have stayed out of them but here you are again making comments in a thread about my product. You cant have it both ways.

9. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:
    I said it was bitter, I'm not a scientist or know everythin about anythin so my bad.

I was just taking a guess, and I'm with Tom on this. Deer dont seem to like the dirt in and around pines, with anythin on it for that matter.

If you have forgotten Brian I tested your product an wasn't pleased with the results, would you like me to elaborate or do you just wanna drop it now?

10. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tom,

Really, stop. I wasn't referring to your comments or your product. I cleared up an error in someone's statement. I believe the people are on this board to share their knowledge. Your assumption was way off.

I will say it again... acidic soil is not a problem with minerals in general and as it turns out, there are quite a few products that recommend acid soils. I have no idea what you recommend for yours other than that you just said it isn't preferred in acid soils. First I knew.

The point is: likely don't blame the pine trees. There is some other cause for why the deer don't like your soil or the products you place on it. Read no more into that than what I stated and you'll be fine.

I would start with a soil sample with your local Ag Dept.

11. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brian stop what? I am not the one who said he didn want any comparisons and I don't even mention your product or post in your threads. If you want to open it up that is fine with me. And I see how you try and bully anyone who has a different opinion than you, well that won't work with me.

12. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tom,

Why do you guys always look for fights? What part of "acidic soils aren't bitter", "pine trees don't make minerals not attract deer" and "some products recommend acid soils" has anything to do with bashing your product? I'd love to hear it.

13. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:
    Will someone ban this fool for good already?

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously guys. I'm sensing some more vacations coming up...

Brian, after the whining you've done in the past when people disagree with you in your threads, you sure do like to correct everyone else in theirs. Pick and choose your battles wisely sir.

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    also not so subtle.....

16. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I already appealed to those higher up to take a look and see what goes on here and in the camera threads. Add the name calling and it is just too wrong to continue on. If you offer good generic advice on something you have expert level knowledge on, you get the same group attacking over and over. Just look at the cup size thread on trail cameras from Boly. Am I missing something?

17. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I read that as maybe they don't like the soil. However, I am not the author.

I have said NOTHING direct about the products from this group. I never will. However, as I have studied a LOT of data on the subject, I do tend to correct errors. Is it better to leave the errors about soil acidity? I have published some supporting data. I don't mind an honest debate on such data as it relates to ALL mineral products. Hence, the answers benefit everyone, no matter what product they use.

18. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously? I've used several mineral products deer don't touch. Maybe these deer don't like this particular one? My
    apologies...

19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am the higher up. I have looked around.

To your camera point, you can list me all the stats you want. Truth is, I want to see what it's capable of. You say something is the best, show me.

You are one reading into this too much.

20. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am reading into this too much? Again, I answered generic answers to a public question. That's how people share knowledge. Which post of mine in this thread do you feel I mentioned anyone elses' product in and said anything negative about it? If I am missing something, tell me because I just don't sincerely see it.