Total newbie questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by MusicMan, Aug 27, 2016.

1. MusicMan

MusicMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So gonna have some questions, most of which are probably pretty dumb.

I'm looking to get into bow hunting, but I honestly don't know where to start. I'd like to stick with a traditional option of recurve or longbow, and I'm not sure the benefits and drawbacks of each.

Also, what's a good draw weight to use? It would be predominantly for deer, but I'd also like something that's capable of taking something a little bigger if I were to go for something around elk size.

Lastly, any recommendations on brands?

Thanks, and happy hunting.

2. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is a good draw weight? This might be your most important question. If you start out overbowed you will soon be disappointed. Developing proper form will be next to impossible with too much weight. The best weight for you should be determined by you. If you can draw the bow to anchor and hold for 5 plus seconds and not feel like you need to release , you are close to your beginning weight. Starting with takedown will enable you purchase heavier limbs . Hunting wih a stick bow will take a lot of practice, a lot of practice, a lot of practice.................!!!!

3. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing dumb about your questions. many excellent bows out there but my opinion here is based on your draw weight question.
    Don't know if you've shot a compound bow or not and that would effect my answer about draw weight.. going to heavy too quickly is a bad thing.. draw length is another important factor..

The Samick Sage is a good choice to get started with as you can purchase the bow new for around 140.00 and extra limbs for 75.00..
    This way you can start with lighter weight limbs and then move to heavier weight limbs for hunting without spending much money.

Draw weight is stated at a 28" draw.. if you draw longer the poundage will increase, drawing less decreases the poundage.

chris