Samick Sage or PSE Recurve

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Johnnie, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Johnnie

Johnnie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to the Traditional Archery Arena. Many of my friends are pushing me to purchase a PSE because the owner of the shop is a friend of theirs. They all shoot compounds and have no experience with recurves. I am told that I will not be happy with a recurve and pushing me to purchase a compound bow!

In your opinion, which bow will be of a better quality and allow me to grow with it? What are you shooting with?
    Your input is greatly appreciated!! Thank You ...... John

2. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my samick sage, it was my first bow, and great to learn on. I've never liked PSEs much at all, I just think they are ugly, for starters, but I haven't shot any of the newer models. If you want a compound I highly recommend the g5 quest rogue. It's draw cycle is comparable to my new creed, and it's very effective. That said, nothing matches the feeling of holding and shooting a traditional bow, and getting a deer with one is downright magical.

3. Johnnie

Johnnie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you recurvestalker for taking the time to comment on my question. Your input is appreciated .... Happy Shooting!

4. huntandbushcraft

huntandbushcraft Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Sammick sage, I am still trying to refine my form and develope good shotting form. The sammick is helping me greatly along the way.

5. huntandbushcraft

huntandbushcraft Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also with the sage, it is a takedown bow, so when your ready to up the draw weight you will be able to switch out the limbs for a stiffer pair.

6. Johnnie

Johnnie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks huntandbushcraft for your comment. I am beginning to see good comments on the Samick Sage. It seems to get some very good reviews on various internet sales sites. ... Happy Shooting!

7. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had my first chance to shoot a Samick Sage the other day, it was a fine shooting bow. For the price I think it would be hard to beat. I have about 15 recurves and 1 longbow. The Sage shot as well as many in my collection. Personally I'd shy away from the PSE recurves.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

8. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely love my sage. As an added bonus its a breakdown, but I'm not sure if the pse is or not, I looked a a couple of them and didn't like the grip. Which ever one you decide on make sure to tune it properly and have a set of arrow that work with it and your draw length and weight.

9. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you decide to get the samick sage and find the limbs stacks on you due to your draw length, you can purchase the samick journey limbs that are 2 inches longer. The riser for the sage and journey are the same, only the length of the limbs are different: 62" vs 64". I just bought the Samick Journey 45# bow set-up today. I am really excited to some target shooting for a year, mixed in with bow fishing, and hopefully next year I can begin hunting with the bow.

I also have an old 60# PSE Long bow from the 80's or so, and that thing shoots like a rocket. It is shipping from the islands to Idaho via the movers, so I can't use for awhile, but I needed a lighter bow to get better with anyway. I was bidding on a PSE Night Hawk recurve, but was outbid on eBay. Any way good luck with hunting for the right bow to shoot with.

10. Edward Mccormick

Edward Mccormick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sage vs pse nighthawk

I personally deal with both at my shop...both are good bows...but I will say the pse is way better looking and shoots great and is quiet...those that say it's not, own a sage and have never personally used the PSE...plus PSE support is better since they are made here unlike the sage which is korean....but again you can't go wrong with either...

11. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a chance to see/shoot a Sage the other day and it was fine shooting bow for the money. Three rivers can set you up pretty quickly. Extra limbs are very reasonable too..

Chris

12. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Bear and Stemmler recurves, but my wife owns and shoots a Samick Sage. It's a very smooth and forgiving bow...for the price you can't go wrong. I have no experience with PSE recurves...only their compounds. Good luck with your choice.

Bill

13. jacky

jacky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good bow, it fits who started training or hunter. I like to use it.

14. ruby081972

ruby081972 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow experience with a Samick Red Stag Recurve 30# has been positive. I found the grip very nice and not fatiguing on the wrist. The bow has a nice weight and feel, and attractive design. I pull to 27' and get about 27#. I have noticed at the range that people standing 6 feet plus like longer bows, maybe you should consider a limb length of 62-64 inches. Pulling back on the Stag right now, it felt good at 29' but I might be a little concerned pushing to 30-31'. Why not try a bow out at a store, it will give you a better understanding of what feels good for your body type.

You can see some consideration when buying a recurve bow : Best Recurve Bow Reviews 2016 - Top Rated For The Money

Best of luck :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  15. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My sage has been a great bow so far. My mom has a PSE razorback and its looks like a clone of the sage. It seems fine too. Samick and PSE are both good.