Proper arrow weight??

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BackstrapREeaper, Apr 6, 2015.

1. BackstrapREeaper

BackstrapREeaper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure this could just be matter of opinion, but I am wondering what is the proper arrow weight to be shooting with a recurve.
    Background info:
    I just put a string on a bow that my father built back in 1991, it was never shot or had a string on it. He passed before he ever shot it and it has been stored in a fireproof safe since. I am slowly "conditioning" limbs by only pulling back a few inches and have shot it to about 75% so far.. However I was only able to build an arrow that is 512 gr. (I was thinking it would be easier on the limbs to shoot a heavier arrow??
    Does arrow weight make any difference?
    I only had 125 field points, would switching to 175 or 200 make much difference?

Thanks for any advice, I am new to traditional archery but would love to learn to shoot it and maybe even harvest a whitetail with it this fall

2. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're correct, a matter of opinion.. 9-10 grains per pound of bow weight is an old rule of thumb for hunting arrows. You're on the right track working the limbs slowly, gently. Increasing arrow point weight will weaken the arrow spine and has it's advantages.

I wish you good luck.. Taking a whitetail with that bow would certainly be special.

3. RalphEwell

RalphEwell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Take a good bow from any online shop which are more effective for hunting. Your hunting game is completely depends upon the bow. If you can get better hunting equipment form online shop that makes your game more enjoyable.