Would you have done what I did?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by shed, Oct 8, 2008.

1. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok heres the scenario earlier in Sept.... with the camera running over my shoulder from my man made blind.. A spike bull walks by at 3 yards off the end of my Zwicky tipped arrow with my recurve in hand.. there were cows coming behind him and a nice 5x5 bull bringing up the rear.. I let the spike walk.. (pass up a slam dunk shot and chance to break in my bow).. in attempt to kill the 5x5 ... He ends up not following the same trail and vears off 15 yards behind me in the brush. No shot on him..

what would you guys have done???

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't kill yourself thinking about it now. That bull could have just as easily followed the same path and given you the same shot. At the moment you made the decision that you felt was best. I would stick with that decision everytime!

3. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    J...no worries..not killing myself at all, just curious as to what others would have chosen to do in my situation. I still have three months of elk season left.. anyweapons season, muzzle loader then late archery.. :)

4. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I would have done the same thing but without being there in the heat of the moment who knows?

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lmao Troy!! I was In the same exact scenario you were In but my bull was a small 4x4 and he was at about 17 yards or so. I let the 4x4 walk also being I had 2 bulls coming from 2 different ravines right Into where I was set up at. The bad thing Is, I never did get to see either of the bulls. I just knew that they were bigger being they had some very nice deep bugles to them when they bugled. They each had about 7 cows, I did get to see them.

Tell me what you would of done If you were me? Remember this, I've never shot an elk yet! The more I think about It maybe I should of shot that smaller bull. Little late now hah!;)

6. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't the first time a little "Greed" :) sent me walking home without filling my tag.. then again being picky early has at times led to a few hawgs later on...

7. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Probably Is Troy!:bash: Oh well, good expeirence none the less. Would I do the same thing again? Not sure.

8. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to say, I probably would of waited hoping the bigger bull would come down the same trail but at the same time I probably would of shot the slam dunk! :deer:

You have a lot of season left, good luck brother!

9. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I would of taken my chances with the bigger Bull and if it don't work out that's huntin.

10. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Jeff you nailed my ? to myself.. I talked with Ryan quite a bit about this too. Am I missing out with my recurve when I know my range and opportunities are limited to let ANY legal animal pass. Thats what I have to decide I am 50/50 right now and at times I have even told myself, that I need to chill with being so picky and just enjoy, then I get out there in the field in the heat of the moment and get greedy, picky ..whatever I we want to call it..

Thanks for the comments everyone, this is why I posted it...just wanted to pick at and hear everyones perspective..

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea Troy, as I said before, the choice you made at that moment, will lead to another potential first to break in the 'curve. Either way you chose it to be will be a cool experience.

12. Broncho10

Broncho10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would have done the same exact thing. I have yet to shoot a big game animal with my recurve and I would have been in the same boat as you. I tend to be picky, greedy, whatever you call it...but that's why I love it. It's not all about killing something everytime you go out, it is about the experiences and enjoyment of getting away from everything and enjoying God's creation. That's the way I look at it. I would feel thankful (and I know you do) just to have an experience that most people never have and miss out on.

13. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Well said Broncho!!:cool:

14. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Myself, being a firs timer with the longbow, I would have smoked the first one...probably ;)

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have shot them all....problem solved.:woot:

16. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're probably going to do it again and it may turn out the same way again.. or not. You know we make decisions and sometimes they don't work out the way we hoped but we do this for ourselves, no one else. It sounds like an exciting situation, another memory in your journey.

After over 40 years doing this, I can tell you that I vividly remember several situations like you described and have to chuckle a little.. Wondering if I should have done it differently never enters my mind.

17. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stalked up on a feeding spike whitetail early In September with my recurve. It would have been my first deer with a bow had I taken a shot, but I ended up watching it at ten yards for five minutes before I slipped away. I regretted it that night! But as soon as I shot a doe I stopped thinking about it. But if I had taken the shot,
    I wouldn't have regretted that either!
    It's all in the moment, unless you have established goals beforehand and stick to them.
    For instance, I don't shoot fawns. But everything else is up for filing my freezer!

18. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have done the same thing for a chance at the bigger one. No shame in that, sorry it didn't work out!