new recurve

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by allthingsbow, Feb 16, 2016.

1. allthingsbow

allthingsbow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently picked up a recurve after shooting a compound for 3 years.
    It's a big adjustment but I'm getting decent groups all things considered.
    I have found, however, my arrows reach the target on an angle. Like someone 20 yards to my right is shooting.
    I assume it's my form - specifically my elbow or wrist? I can't seem to straighten things out though.
    Thoughts?

2. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pics might help

3. Marshberry

Marshberry Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 45 lb long bow with wooden arrows in addition to my compound. I ordered my arrows from 3 rivers archery and I have had good results. Most of my arrows fly straight, but a few (10%) will wobble in flight. I'm not sure if maybe I need a slightly different spine weight arrow for the next batch I order. My arrows are a spine weight of 45-50 lbs for a 45lb bow, however my draw length is only 27" so I'm most likely shooting 43 lbs. I may try ordering the 40-45 lb spine arrows next go around. I'm accurate to 15 yards shooting instinctive style and it's loads of fun. I do however love my new Halon 6 and love the idea of hiding 30 yards in a tree and having even more accurate shots instead of ground hunting from 10 yards away.

I'm not too worried about the occasional wobble of the arrow as long as the grouping is good and I am confident in my shot. Let me know what you find out.

4. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty sure it's not your wrist. With traditional form is critical. Your arrow, draw arm and elbow should all be in a horizontal straight line. Hitting the exact anchor point every time is crucial.
    Be sure that your arrows are spined correctly and your tip weight is matched to the arrow and bow.
    See the tuning link I posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    This should cause concern because something is not tuned properly. A wobble will cause you to lose speed and energy. An unfletched arrow should fly the same as a fletched one out to 20+ yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk