Three weeks in lots of progress and having fun!! Compound to traditional - long post

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by DJinNC, Feb 8, 2016.

1. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made the decision to go traditional as well. I did a lot of research (books, forums, shop visits) heading up to the decision and decided the Samick sage was the way to enter. I also looked at draw weights from the point of view that I needed a minimum of 40 pounds to comply with NC regs for hunting. Bought a few books and decided to shoot instinctive and to follow their rule of 10-15 pounds less than my compound weight. That put me in the 55-60 pound draw range. I went looking for a 50-60 pound bow and found a great deal (<100.00 including shipping) on a 2 year old Samick sage with quiver. It was at the high end of the range (60#) but I figured if it were too much... buy lighter limbs and still come out ahead ($). After 2.5- three weeks and limited practice (weather) here is what I learned:

1. focus on your target and keep it as small as possible
    2. After the shot don't look for the arrow it will come into view after the release and you can follow it to the target while holding form
    3. invest in a good release!!!!! The difference between a $10 leather tab and a $50 Fivic Saker 1 tab has been dramatic and the results worth the cost. A well designed tab does not result in sore fingers; teaches and reinforces good hand position with less tension, balling and pinching- leading too a consistent release and....
    4. A consistent anchor which is is essential and that is not possible with out a consistent grip and hand positioning (see above)
    5. To be accurate instinctive shooting, trust yourself and shoot in rhythm if you "snap" shoot or hold it too long you will be way off.
    6. Develop a routine I use usually recite the word "cap" and taped "C.A.P." (Consistant Anchor Pose) to my riser to remind me to reach my anchor, pause, shoot and hold your follow through (pose)

A couple of other things I learned by shooting ALOT when the weather was good about a week ago.... I think the emphasis on draw weight is over blown. Focus on finger placement, hand positioning and draw technique. What I mean is learning to use your back (lats) in conjunction with your arms to draw. It will lead to a smooth easy draw for many shots. I think folks use their arms way too much leading to fatigue, soreness and "over bowing".

My progress, first week: from 5 yards I lost 1 arrow, broke a second and destroyed the fletchings on a third later fixed with glue). I was allover missing the entire target block. Second week (down to only 4 shootable arrows) I was keeping it in a tea cup saucer from 5yd and on the target from 10yd. due to weather I did not practice but twice last week (3) but now from 10 -12 yards I had only having maybe one-two target miss a session, most inside a 12-14" circle. I actually played a game of shooting until all 4 arrows have landed inside a 3" bullseye from 10 yards (every time an arrow lands in the bullseye it is removed from the rotation until all are done). This week will be COLD and windy, but I will be out there at least twice. Learning to shoot under the worst of conditions enhances focus!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Three weeks in lots of progress and having fun!! Compound to traditional - lo...

I like your honesty here. Sounds a lot like myself every year when I say I'm going to hunt traditional. I usually get the itch right after bow season and start shooting again in March after my sons wrestling season ends. It's frustrating to say the least if you didn't keep up with it. Its almost like starting over every year. About the time I think I'm almost good enough to take a 20 yards shot at a deer, my summer work schedule Amps up and l lose everything I gained When hunting season comes near.

3. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Emphasis is important ! Beginning with to much weight will result in poor form , accuracy , frustration etc.If you feel like you have to loose the arrow after 6 or 7 seconds you're probably overbowed. I'm in control of the bows I use, they range from 37#'s to 42.5 #'s.I used to shoot a compound around 63 #'s Good Luck!

4. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is something that I have always told myself that I would like to try

5. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That should read ... before 6-7 seconds.

6. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Three weeks in lots of progress and having fun!! Compound to traditional - lo...

It sounds like you're off to a good start. You're doing everything correct. Personally I think you started out with a heavy bow for a beginner but everyone is different.
    I started over 50+ years ago with recurves, 8 years ago I joined a urban bowhunting organization that didn't allow traditional tackle. I bought my first my first compound because of this. I've since dropped out and went back to what I've always loved...recurves. I have earned a lot of respect for the people that shoot compounds at long distances.
    Good luck, practice as much as possible. Always remember this is for you and not to keep up with the Jone's. You will come to find out the shooting traditional is no less expensive than shooting a compound. I say 20+ bows later. LOL
    [​IMG]

Pepsi Bottles - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016