Question about arrow tip weight

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BB4tw, Dec 30, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With the season coming to a close for me, I'm about ready to put the compound up and get serious about shooting the recurve.

According to the chart on 3 River's site, I should be able to shoot a 400 spine carbon arrow with a 150 grain tip. This set up should be good even if I move up from where I'm starting at approximately 40 lbs to a 50 lb draw.

These are the same arrows I shoot from my compound. I plan to shoot off an elevate rest at least to start. With Christmas just past and my kid's birthdays coming up shortly, I don't want to invest in new arrows right now.

The part that has me wondering is the 150 tip weight on the chart. Does that include the insert weight or the screw in tip only?

Do I buy 150 grain heads or do I buy 125 grain heads because the insert adds 23 grains?

2. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't include the inserts. I shoot 400s in carbon arrows at 31". I prefer aluminium arrows for my recurve though.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. I'll probably switch arrows later on if the traditional archery bug bites hard enough. For now I'm just looking to dip my toe in the water.

4. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't just dip your toe.lol. I started messing around with it right at the end of last deer season. Over the summer I bought some old bows in good shape and practiced like crazy. I'm not good by any means compared to others. I did luck out and take a mature doe a few weeks ago with my Bear recurve. Good luck and practice as much as you can. It's well worth the time and effort.

5. Samuel Dunham

Samuel Dunham Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It includes everything and I will be back on this one.

6. Samuel Dunham

Samuel Dunham Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Delete, no interest

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My trad arrows are 35/55 GT trads, .400 spine. cut to 29". I have a 50 gr brass insert and a 150 tip. total 200 gr up front.