The time has come..

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Jake/PA, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have decided to join the traditional family. The thing is I have very little knowledge on set ups and anything else dealing with traditional bows. That said, I have a ton of questions that I'd love for you guys to answer.

- Is there any good resources (websites, forums, books) on getting started into trad?

- Not sure if I'll be hunting with it next year, just depends on how much progress I make. But what would be a good starter recurve? I wanted to buy a nice one but think it would be better starting out with a cheap one. Am I right in that thinking?

- My draw length on compounds is 27", will that stay the same? Also, what kind of bow poundage should I start with?

- What should my arrow set up look like? Carbon? Weight? Broadhead recommendations?

- Anything I missed? Feel free to add anything you would like.

Thanks guys!

2. Carolina_Bowhunter

Carolina_Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the group! One thing I can say is that once you try it, there is no going back! This is the only kind of archery that I will do!

- Here is a very good forum, that has helped me a lot along the way. http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=224;hardset=0;start_point=0;DaysPrune=0
    The folks on there are very nice, and will answer any questions you may have!

- A really good starter recurve you can get is the Samick Sage. It is very in-expensive, and is very good quality. Another good bow to start with is the Greatree Osprey. It is for a little more money, for some better quality. It also (in my opinion) fits a lot nicer into the hand, and looks a lot nicer too!
    Yes you're completely right thinking that you may want to start off with a less expensive bow. Even though I said traditional archery is addictive, it is not for some people, and if you're not sure you'll love it, it is definitely better to spend less.

- In traditional archery you tend to have a shorter draw length than you do with a compound. This is mainly because there is no let-off and the shorter your draw-length is, and the easier it is to get to, the better you will tend to shoot.

- Most average sized adults would want to go with a 45 pound bow. If you want a bit more power and speed, then a 50 pound bow will be fine too. Just in case you didn't know, the draw weight is measure at 28". For example 45# @ 28"

- You will probably want a finger tab or finger glove if you're not used to shooting with your fingers. Most people now-a-days
    tend to shoot with carbon arrows, I use Gold Tips and they work just great! As for broadheads, it really depends on what you want. If you want to be full traditional, then I'd say go with some kind of magnus broadhead. If you don't really care, NAP thunderheads have worked very well for me!

Good luck, and have fun!

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another good site to get well equipped is 3rivers archery. They have just about everything traditional that you need and are very helpful.

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Keep the information flowing.

5. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ladydeerkiller likes this.
  6. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    tradgang is the place. I learned a lot from them. Biggest thing I learned was anchor point and the correct arrows.

7. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    There is a FB group that I belong to that is without a doubt the absolute best group of people. The group is called "The Traditional Archer". They are never judgmental or elitist. There is everyone from the newest newbie to the VA state 3D champ and everyone in-between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is a big problem in the trad word. It is one reason I stopped going to big trad gatherings like Denton Hill. Besides starting with a recurve back in the 80's and not switching to compounds until the 90's. I shot trad again from around 1998-2007; right after my second back surgery. I still shoot but have to shoot light bows. I also made bows most of that time frame.

But too many trad folks think because they shoot a longbow or recurve they are better than other bowhunters. Please avoid that thought process.

Tradgang is great for information, so is the Leatherwall section of "The Bowsite". I bought 90% of my gear and supplies from 3Rivers as Trad shops are few and far between.

9. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting recurves for over 50 years. When I started there wasn't any division between "traditional" or compound we were all just bowhunters/archers. I do own a compound but never shoot it and I don't care what anyone else shoots.
    I do like going to trad rendezvous. (I didn't like Denton Hill). When you're with all trad shooters there's no division.
    I check in once in awhile with TradGang (they aren't referred to as the TradGang Nazis for no reason) and the Wall but rarely.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  10. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I'll have to start reading up.

11. Airos

Airos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the obsession.
    And this is my first post on here.
    I was a member of tradgang. I also was a member of the traditional archer. But that's another story.

Here somethings to consider.
    -1: Don't get over bowed. If you can pull a compound at 60-70lbs, go with 40-45lbs traditional bow. If possible a takedown so you can get heavier limbs late on if need be.
    -2: if you're going to be shooting off the shelf, find all the information you can on arrow tuning. Starting point would be the spine chart for the arrows you're going to shoot and the bow weight you'll be shooting.
    I use carbon arrows and enjoy tuning new arrows so much, I have dozens of arrows I can shoot with the traditional bows I own.
    -3: If you going to try instinctive shooting and you're on Facebook, you might also want to check out the group
    " Flinging Arrows. "
    This group has everything to get you started, from beginner to advanced shooting drills.

12. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know much about it but I was going to start out with a samick sage. They're very nice bows for $150.

13. Airos

Airos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you'll go wrong with the sage. I know a few people that have had them and enjoyed shooting them.
    Good luck.

14. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pick up my new recurve in a couple days. Almost done being built. Can't wait.

15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a used Ben Pearson Cougar not very long ago. It's a blast to shoot. I can't wait to feel confident enough to hunt with it all the time. Right now I feel that realistically I could kill a deer 15 yards and in. It sure is a lot different at 20 yards with a recurve than a compound though.

16. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Remember to compensate your draw weight for your draw length.

A short draw will be less pounds than what the bow is rated and likewise a draw longer than the 28" standard will produce a higher draw weight than rated.

My 35# recurve is actually at 40# +/- by the time I get it to full draw. (rule of thumb estimate, not a scale weight)

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff Jake. As the season wound down for me yesterday, I began to think of all the fun I had hunting with my recurve years ago. The two does I killed with that recurve rate as some of the best hunts of my life.

As I stood in my garage today it dawned on me that the two season I hunted with the recurve were possibly the most fun Ive ever had in the woods. I am going to research recurve bows and buy a new one in the next couple of months. I dont really like how my Howatt @ 52 lbs shoots. I feel cramped. I think I may get a 29" bow at like 48lbs. I want a nice smooth draw and a sweet release.

If I shoot good at 20 yds by the summer time I will hunt the entire season with my recurve. Ill be able to do it.

18. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Brett, check out Predator bows
    Hunter's Niche
    Out of all my 18-20+ bows this is about the best and fastest shooter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Thanks buddy, I appreciate that. Im on a $500 self budget for the new recurve purchase.

20. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Then look for a used one or a used Bear Super Kodiak.
    Good luck and good shooting.