New to bowhunting

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by FerusBear1315, Oct 12, 2015.

1. FerusBear1315

FerusBear1315 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting since I was young, but recently decided to try out bowhunting. Upon deciding, I wanted to go the traditional route. What are some good things to know about getting into it?

2. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1) for a beginner 35-45 lbs. is what you should start with. You will gain 3 lbs for every inch you pull past 28". With archery form is EVERYTHING!!! You should not "over bow" yourself. This would cause poor form, inconsistent accuracy and frustration.
    2) I would look at eBay for a used bow. I have bought quite a few there and never had a problem. LOOK AT THE SELLER RATINGS.
    A few good brands to look for:
    BEAR Grizzly, it's been a tried and true workhorse for many decades.
    Wing Red Wing Hunter, also a very good shooter that has stood the test of time.
    Shakespeare Necedah, another good one
    Ben Pearson bows
    there are others but this is a list to start with.
    For a new or used bow there are many that really like the Samick Sage. This is an inexpensive bow that shoots well. It is a take-down bow which means you can buy different weight limbs without having to buy a whole new bow. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/samick-sage-takedown-recurve-bow.html
    3) you will also have to educate yourself on arrow spine, weight, length, tuning, etc. http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
    4) there are also 3 arrow materials to choose from aluminum, carbon and wood. I would suggest carbon to start with. They are either straight or broken and very durable. You must be careful with all arrow shafting but carbon may look okay but if cracked it can be hazardous. "FLEX BEFORE SHOOTING" if you think it has been compromised.
    RULE OF THUMB:
    10 grains of arrow weight for every pound of bow weight.
    i.e.; 35# bow= 350 grains of arrow weight
    40#=400 grains of arrow weight
    45#=450 grains of arrow weight
    50#=500 grains of arrow weight
    [​IMG]

There is an EXCELLENT Facebook group you should join The Traditional Archer. They are a great group of traditional archers with a wealth of knowledge. They are not judgmental and very willing to help everyone.
    Of course you can always ask or PM me and I'll give you all the advice I can. I have been shooting recurves for almost 55 years and it's my obsession.

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  3. FerusBear1315

FerusBear1315 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, sir. I had actually been looking into a Samick Sage. I had also looked at Hoyt El Dorado. I decided to keep it on the less expensive side, though, for my first bow. I'll definitely look into the things you've spoke about. I do appreciate it.

4. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk