What constitutes a youth bow?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BB4tw, Sep 23, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shopping around for a recurve. Some models that have come up as a good value are the Samick Sage and a couple of models from Martin.

Another takedown that caught my eye was the Bear Sonoma. It has a length of 62" and a draw of 45#. Both figures are in the range of what im looking for. However, on further research, I find that it is listed as a youth bow on the Bear website.

Which leads me to my question. With adult measurements for AMO and draw weight, what makes it a youth bow and not suitable for an adult?

2. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.beararchery.com/bear-bows/youth-bows/sonoma-recurve
    The Sonoma is a 60" bow and only comes in 40 & 45#. The Samick Sage is also 60" and you can get many different weight limbs for it.
    As a general statement "youth" bows start at lower weights and only go up to a certain weight.
    I am a huge Bear Archery fan but I would shy away from the Sonoma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first choice would be a Bear Grizzly. I know some of the Bear models are a little on the short side but I hunt mainly from a blind and I think shorter would be more advantageous than detremental.

I've waited this long to get a proper recurve bow, I can probably wait a little longer to get one thats better than the entry level takedowns that are out there.

4. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't go too short. I love my Kodiak Magnum, but it is twitchy. Without consistent shooting, you will be all over the place.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    58 is the shortest I will go. If I understand right, the bow length should be approxamatly twice your draw length. I have my compound set for 29 but I a trad draws a little further for me. I figure a range of 58 to 60 inches will be about right.

If I'm way off base on my thinking, please correct me before I drop a bunch of cash on the wrong bow.

6. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    58" is about as short as you should go. 45# is about as heavy as you should go. The Grizzly is a fine bow and a proven workhorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice, guys.