I've been bitten by the traditional bug

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BB4tw, Mar 8, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorting through junk in the basement, I came across my old compound bow. It was an old school design in need of a new string and cables. For sure not worth the dollars required to get in back into shooting condition.

However, me being the sentimental sap that I am, I just couldn't throw out my first bow that I got my first deer with so I decided to give it a retro upgrade. I converted it from a outdated compound into a timeless recurve.

Today when I was shooting it, the instinctive shooting light bulb came on and my three arrow groups shrunk from about 3 feet in diameter to about 1 1/2 feet. LoL.

I'm loving the feel of the draw with no let off. The release from my fingers, and snapping twang that the bow makes as it sends the arrow on its way.

I'm no where near ready to do any kind of hunting with it but maybe someday...

uploadfromtaptalk1425867379076.jpg

2. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty cool, and nice work!

Where did you find the recurve limbs for it?

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got the limbs from Amazon. Brand new set of 50# limbs from a Samick Sage.

It took some slight modifications to make them fit the Bear riser. The ATA stayed the same at 62" but I haven't put a scale on it yet to see it it is still pulling 50# at 28".

Bear+Samick= Bemick... Samar... ???

4. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How wide are bolt-end of the Samick limbs?? Also the measurement from center of the bolt-hole to end of limb.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't measure because the bolt holes lined up perfectly. I had to knock out the bushing and cut out one side of hole to make it a U shape like the compound limbs.

The other modification that was needed was to line the limb pockets with leather to make the limbs fit snugly.