New to Traditional Archery

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Archer95, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Archer95

Archer95 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

I have been hunting with a compound bow for about two years now. I shoot 29in carbon arrows tipped with a variety of rage 100g broad heads. However, I have always had a fascination with traditional archery. Well I got my first recurve (a 50lb. 62in. Sage) yesterday. I would like to use it this upcoming archery season. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about all this since season is not for 9ish months here in Colorado, but I figure I should start practicing and preparing now. So I have a few questions for you all.

1) What sort of arrows should I use?
    2) How long should my arrows be?
    3) Should I get mechanical or fixed blade broad heads? Recommendations?
    4) Should I mount my bow with arrow rests, string silencers, ect?

Any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Archer95

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    never too early to prepare for next season =)

1) What sort of arrows should I use? Depends on if you want to go full trad or semi. I use carbon arrows that look like wood personally.
    2) How long should my arrows be? Depends on your set up (spine etc). My arrows sit a couple inches over my riser/fingers.
    3) Should I get mechanical or fixed blade broad heads? Recommendations? I personally like my fixed blade Magnus Stingers.
    4) Should I mount my bow with arrow rests, string silencers, ect? I should a longbow, shooting off the shelf. I don't know what your bow looks like, but I can't mount anything to mine. It's entirely up to you if you can.

if you don't get immediate answers here, i would recommend going to tradgang or tradtalk if you haven't already.

have fun shooting! =)

3. Archer95

Archer95 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

4. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you go to a decent bow shop, they should help you get outfitted to the point of trying out different arrow/broadhead combinations, including paper tuning, to make sure your arrow shoots correctly. One thing though, mechanical broadheads do not reliably open at the typical speeds an arrow shot from a recurve/longbow. Mechanicals typically needs speed somewhat greater than 200fps (220+ even) and a traditional arrow shoots about 150-175 fps.

5. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, the majority of the bow shops know nothing about traditional archery and at the worst will pretend they know giving bad information. Check around the area that you live asking information about people who shoot Traditional equipment. You'll be way ahead if you can find someone with experience, specify if you want a bowhunter or a target archer, depending on what you want to do.

Most Trad. archers are very willing to help you, just ask.