Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by tburgee, Sep 9, 2014.

1. tburgee

tburgee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy fellas

quick question, I've only recently (February) started shooting traditional. Sometimes I can go out, and it seems like i can not miss. and other times (more often than not) I am lucky to be in a 6" - 9" group. (sometimes worse) I know no one else who shoots trad around me so it's basically learning as I go, you tube, and articles. what kind of accuracy should I expect?

at 10 yards, I am consistent, they go where I want every time. 20 yards is as described above. I havent tried 30 because basically I am not comfortable at 20 yet.

I am shooting a Sammick Sage, 45#, (for me closer to 47 or 48 because of my draw length) bare bow, no sights. what kind of accuracy should I expect? I've seen archer who at 40 yards, barebow, can stack the arrows, and some who at 20 are lucky to hit a 3d target... arrows are a mix of gold tip traditional hunter, 5575 (400 spine) and then cabelas stalker extreme (feathers) 55/70 - they both seems to fly really well, but the gold-tip flies the best

IF i take the sage hunting, which I'd like to I am at this point going to have to limit myself to 10 yards. I do have a small food plot at about 7 yards..

Also I have one eye, so learning at 10 yards seemed to take quite a bit of time, i wanted to try "instinctive" shooting because as you can expect I am NO good at judging yardage.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed you say you're close to St. Louis and I know there are Trad. shooters in that area, don't know just how close. Shooting Traditional equipment takes time to learn. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Having an experienced person to help you will help shorten the learning curve.

The level of accuracy you want to obtain is up to you.. I took my first deer 40 years ago this fall, since that time I've never needed to take a shot in excess of 25 yards. Learning to shoot instinctive involves much practice, your mind must learn the arc of the arrow. A bow/arrow combination that is well matched will shoot reasonably flat out to 20-25 yards so you'll find that learning a consistent/repeatable shot sequence is most important (Form)..

This site tends to be quiet but there are people here who are happy to help.. Keep asking questions..

chris

3. tradgear

tradgear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot instinctive as well, and I have learned that if I am having an "off" practice session it is due to lack of concentration. I shoot by staring at the point of impact and not by judging distance. If I am not concentrating hard enough my eye will leave the spot I want to hit for just a split second , usually just at release, and this will cause the arrow to hit the spot that I just glanced at. It is strange how a split second glance will cause your shot to be off.
    When it comes to traditional archery, there is a saying that you may have heard. "Pick a spot". More specifically, pick a spot and keep your concentration on it.
    When I shoot, I don't just pick a spot, I pick out something about that spot and concentrate on that. For example, A black dot on my bag may have a white speck of the stuffing showing. I stare at that

4. tradgear

tradgear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It cut me off.
    I stare at the white stuff and try to poke it back in the bag. I may miss the stuffing but still hit the dot.
    Practicing this technique has made me more consistent and should do the same for you.

5. tburgee

tburgee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all. I seem to do better (which wont help much in hunting) when there is a contrast... black dot, white plate type thing. y target had (it's been shot out) a red area marking the deers heart... and even at 20 yards I was getting a respectable group. I think it' just a focus issues. tho, it seems the slightest thing can throw off the shot with a trad bow.. thanks a lot again