Interested!

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by hoffmancs23, Aug 19, 2014.

1. hoffmancs23

hoffmancs23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So iv been shooting compound for around 3-4 years now. LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT! But something has been calling me to try a little more traditional archery. ... I don't know if I would ever actually hunt with a recurve or long bow. But I definitely want to try it just as a hobby for now anyway. I fully understand that it's pretty much 2 different world's compound to traditional. But I'm actually thinking the only way I want to give this a try is if I make my own bow! Now has anyone made there own bow. Am I setting my self up for horrible failure? I basically have my mind set on I'm going to do it. So can anyone point me in the right direction? To build my own I don't want to buy one

2. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't built one but I would love to. If you do it you should start a how to thread on it!

3. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If that's what you've got in mind to do then do some research on it. It's not cheap to make/buy all the equipment you'll need.
    There is, without a doubt, great satisfaction to shoot a bow you've made with your own hands.

You don't sound very sure about shooting Trad, equipment. I would suggest you wait to see if you even want to do it.

4. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do a google search and there's some great articles on every kind from one piece self bows from a tree you cut to three piece takedown recurves with fiberglass limbs you heat to cure and everything inbetween. I've read a bunch just cause it's interesting reading what everyone's tried and how it's went and everyone has different details to keep in mind. I'm gonna give one a try again here soon too. Tried one a little while back and know where I screwed it up. If nothing else it's sweet doing the wood working and how it can be personalized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ⬆️this
    I've never built one either. If I had the time, space and motivation I might try it but I KNOW I'd never be able to duplicate the beauty and quality of many of the old production bows I own.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

6. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    go to tradgang forums. the serious minded trad bowyers always have an answer for just about everything traditional. making bows was is an extremely meticulous project, i can't wait to make another. i certainly broke 10 bows to successfully make 1. that 1 bow is about 47-49 lbs at 28". however it has some serious set in it, shoots smoothly, but slowly. i would maybe attempt to get squirrels or other smaller game with it, but wouldn't make it my go to bow for anything.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've made all wood bows, used to be all I shot. It doesn't really have to take a lot of expensive tools and just about anywhere you live there are trees that will make a suitable bow. I have helped others make fiberglass bows but it requires a lot more equipment and a lot more expense.

Once you've made all wood bows then you're ready to make arrows from natural sprouts… then flintknapping stone points.